Americas

2011

Alerts   |   Guyana

Guyana president suspends television station

Guyana President Bharrat Jagdeo has suspended a TV station for four months. (Reuters)

New York, October 6, 2011--Guyanese president Bharrat Jagdeo has suspended television station CNS6 from broadcasting for four months in the period leading up to the presidential elections, according to local news reports. The suspension stemmed from a May 4 broadcast that aired comments about a local bishop who is a close associate of the president, news reports said.

"We are alarmed that President Bharrat Jagdeo has decided to suspend television station CNS6," said CPJ's Americas Senior Program Coordinator Carlos Lauría. "All Guyanese media must be allowed to report the news freely before the presidential election so that citizens can access information from multiple sources."

October 6, 2011 4:16 PM ET

Also Available in
Español

Tags:

Alerts   |   Colombia

Provincial Colombian journalist threatened

New York, October 5, 2011 - The Committee to Protect Journalists is alarmed by threats made against Ana María Ferrer, a freelance Colombian journalist in the northern state of Cesar, who has denounced government corruption and the mishandling of mining royalties.
October 5, 2011 3:54 PM ET

Also Available in
Español

Tags:

Alerts   |   Mexico

Mexican police reporter missing in Veracruz

New York, September 29, 2011--The Committee to Protect Journalists is concerned by reports that Mexican journalist Manuel Gabriel Fonseca Hernández has gone missing from the city of Acayucán, in Veracruz state. Fonseca's friends first reported him missing on September 20, police records show.

September 29, 2011 4:54 PM ET

Also Available in
Español, Português

Tags:

Alerts   |   Mexico

Journalist's decapitated body found in Mexico

New York, September 26, 2011--The decapitated body of Mexican journalist Maria Elizabeth Macías Castro was found on a road near the city of Nuevo Laredo on Saturday, news reports said.

September 26, 2011 3:36 PM ET

Also Available in
Español, Português

Tags:

Alerts   |   Nicaragua

Nicaraguan journalist flees country after death threats

New York, September 21, 2011--The Committee to Protect Journalists is concerned by reports that Nicaraguan journalist Silvia González fled the country last week after receiving repeated threats that referred to her work, news reports said.

September 21, 2011 4:50 PM ET

Also Available in
Español, Português

Tags:

Statements   |   Ecuador

Ecuadoran appeals court upholds libel conviction

New York, September 20, 2011--The Committee to Protect Journalists is dismayed by an Ecuadoran appeals court ruling today upholding a criminal libel conviction against four El Universo newspaper managers in a case brought by President Rafael Correa. 

Alerts   |   Peru

Critical journalist gunned down in Peru

New York, September 16, 2011--The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Peruvian authorities to fully investigate the murder of journalist José Oquendo Reyes, who was shot to death on Wednesday, and bring those responsible to justice.

September 16, 2011 4:08 PM ET

Also Available in
Español, Português

Tags:

Alerts   |   Brazil

Radio journalist shot to death in Brazil

Crowds turned out for the funeral of local journalist Valderlei Canuto Leandro. (Blog Da Floresta)

New York, September 12, 2011--Brazilian authorities must thoroughly investigate the September 1 murder of a Brazilian radio journalist who was known for his criticism of local authorities and had allegedly been threatened with death by a local mayor, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

September 12, 2011 3:22 PM ET

Also Available in
Español, Português

Tags:

Alerts   |   Bolivia

Bolivian journalist who exposed corruption is threatened

New York, September 12, 2011--The Committee to Protect Journalists is concerned by the repeated death threats and harassment of a journalist who exposed corruption in the Bolivian government's Institute of Forensic Investigations this April.

September 12, 2011 2:37 PM ET

Also Available in
Español, Português

Tags:

Alerts   |   Argentina

Menem misuses privacy claim, CPJ says in IACHR brief

Carlos Saúl Menem, former president of Argentina. (AP)

New York, September 12, 2011--A lawsuit alleging invasion of privacy brought by Argentina's former president, Carlos Saúl Menem, against two journalists with the local newsweekly Noticias violates Article 13 of the American Convention on Human Rights, the Committee to Protect Journalists said in a legal brief filed Friday before the Costa Rica-based Inter-American Court of Human Rights.

This is the first case brought in the Inter-American system that involves a privacy claim stemming from a report on matters of public concern. CPJ believes it is vital for the court to set a precedent of protecting journalists' rights at a time when leaders in Latin America and around the world are using a barrage of legal actions to stifle critical reporting.

2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 or all
« Previous Page   Next Page »
« 2010 | 2012 »