Haiti / Americas

Journalists attacked in Haiti since 1992

  

En Haïti: le journaliste Setoute Yvens survit à un attentat par balles, un autre journaliste reçoit des menaces de mort

Miami, le 3 août 2020 — Les autorités haïtiennes doivent enquêter rapidement et en profondeur sur l’attentat par balles contre le journaliste Setoute Yvens et les menaces de mort proférées à l’encontre du journaliste Pradel Alexandre et identifier et poursuivre les personnes impliquées, a déclaré aujourd’hui le Comité pour la Protection des Journalistes. Le 28…

Read More ›

Journalist Setoute Yvens survives shooting attempt, another reporter receives death threats in Haiti

Miami, August 4, 2020 — Haitian authorities should swiftly and thoroughly investigate the shooting attack on journalist Setoute Yvens and the death threats to journalist Pradel Alexandre and identify and prosecute those involved, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On July 28 around 8:45 p.m. in the Drouillard neighborhood of the Cité-Soleil commune in Port-au-Prince, Yvens, a…

Read More ›

A woman walks in downtown Port au Prince, Haiti, on March 26, 2020. Eight journalists were recently attacked while covering the coronavirus pandemic in Port au Prince. (AFP/Pierre Michel Jean)

Journalists assaulted while covering COVID-19 measures in Haiti

Miami, April 9, 2020 — Haitian authorities should conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the assault on a group of journalists at the National Identification Office in Port-au-Prince, the capital, and hold those responsible to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

Medical staff are seen in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on March 27, 2020. CPJ recently spoke with Haitian journalist Robenson Sanon about covering the COVID-19 pandemic. (Reuters/Jeanty Junior Augustin)

Haitian journalist Robenson Sanon says covering COVID-19 feels like being ‘soldiers in the battlefield’

Reuters correspondent Robenson Sanon has been covering life in his home country of Haiti for over 10 years.

Read More ›

Armed off-duty police officers protest in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on February 23, 2020. People identifying themselves as police officers committed an arson attack against local broadcaster Radio Télévision Caraïbes. (AP/Dieu Nalio Chery)

Haitian outlet Radio Télévision Caraïbes targeted with arson attack during police protest

Miami, February 26, 2020 — Haitian authorities should conduct a prompt and thorough investigation into an arson attack on the offices of Radio Télévision Caraïbes and hold those responsible to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

CPJ, RSF call on Haitian authorities to investigate attacks on journalists

The Committee to Protect Journalists and Reporters Without Borders urge Haitian authorities to take steps necessary to guarantee independent and comprehensive investigations into all cases of violence against journalists, and communicate the results to the public in a timely manner.

Read More ›

A boy looks on as protesters demand the resignation of President Jovenel Moïse in Port-au-Prince, on October 4. A radio journalist who had been critical of the unrest and who was threatened over his reporting, was killed Mirebalais in October. (AFP/Chandan Khanna)

Radio Panic FM journalist found dead in Haiti following threats

Miami, October 11, 2019—Haitian authorities should conduct a swift and comprehensive investigation into the killing of radio journalist Néhémie Joseph and ensure those responsible are brought to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

A police officer is seen in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on September 30, 2019. Police that day shot journalist Edmond Agenor Joseph in Port-au-Prince. (Reuters/Andres Martinez Casares)

Journalist Edmond Agenor Joseph shot by police in Haiti while covering protests

Miami, October 1, 2019 — Haitian authorities should conduct a prompt and thorough investigation into the shooting of journalist Edmond Agenor Joseph, hold those responsible to account, and ensure the protection of journalists covering protests, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

Senator Jean Marie Ralph Féthière fires his gun in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on September 23, 2019. AP photographer Chery Dieu-Nalio was shot in the incident. (AP/Chery Dieu-Nalio)

Haitian senator opens fire, injuring AP photographer Chery Dieu-Nalio

Miami, September 24, 2019 — Haitian authorities should immediately undertake a swift and credible investigation into the shooting of journalist Chery Dieu-Nalio and hold those responsible to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

Haitian reporters and others protest in Port-au-Prince on March 28, 2018, calling for information on missing photojournalist Vladimir Legagneur. Another journalist, Luckson Saint-Vil, was shot at in southern Haiti on August 6, 2019. (AFP/Hector Retamal)

Journalist Luckson Saint-Vil survives shooting attack in southern Haiti

Miami, August 13, 2019–The Committee to Protect Journalists today condemned a shooting attack on Haitian journalist Luckson Saint-Vil in southern Haiti last week, and urged Haitian authorities to investigate threats against Saint-Vil and identify and prosecute the attackers.

Read More ›