Brazil / Americas

Journalists attacked in Brazil since 1992

  

Brazilian Supreme Court rules in favor of photojournalist Alex Silveira, injured by police while covering protest in 2000

Rio de Janeiro, June 15, 2021 — The Committee to Protect Journalists today welcomed a Brazilian Supreme Court ruling requiring São Paulo state to compensate photojournalist Alex Silveira for an injury inflicted by police officers. On May 18, 2000, Military Police officers shot Silveira, then a photojournalist at the São Paulo daily newspaper Agora, in…

Read More ›

Brazilian media outlet that covers women’s rights targeted with DDoS attack

Between March 26 and April 2, 2021, unidentified internet users orchestrated distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks on Portal Catarinas, an online media outlet specializing in gender, feminism, and human rights, according to Paula Guimarães, the portal’s executive director and a report by the Brazilian Association of Investigative Journalism (ABRAJI). The attacks flooded the site with traffic…

Read More ›

Brazilian journalist Diego Santos receives envelope with threat and bullets

Rio de Janeiro, April 8, 2021 – Brazilian authorities should promptly and thoroughly investigate the threat made to journalist Diego Santos and ensure his safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On the morning of April 1, Santos checked the mailbox outside his home in the city of Boa Vista, the capital of the…

Read More ›

CPJ joins open letter calling on Brazilian Congressional leaders to protect press freedom

The Committee to Protect Journalists today joined seven Brazilian and international press freedom organizations in publishing an open letter addressed to Rodrigo Pacheco, president of Brazil’s Federal Senate, and Arthur Lira, president of the Chamber of Deputies, calling on Congressional leaders to protect press freedom and journalist safety in the country.  The letter, published today to…

Read More ›

Brazilian journalist’s home, newspaper office targeted in arson attack

Rio de Janeiro, March 23, 2021 – Brazilian authorities should promptly and thoroughly investigate the arson attack on the Folha da Região newspaper and the home of editor José Antônio Arantes, and ensure the safety of Arantes, his family, and the outlet’s staff, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. At 4:19 a.m. on March…

Read More ›

Brazilian sports blogger faces 5-month prison sentence over 2016 defamation case

Rio de Janeiro, March 11, 2021 – Brazilian authorities should not arrest sports blogger Paulo Cezar de Andrade Prado, and should reform the country’s defamation laws to ensure members of the press do not face imprisonment for their work, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On February 23, the 26th Criminal Court of São…

Read More ›

Brazilian journalist Patrícia Campos Mello sued President Bolsonaro’s son for moral damages – and won

In May of last year, Eduardo Bolsonaro, a Brazilian congressman and the son of President Jair Bolsonaro, made a series of searing accusations against journalist Patrícia Campos Mello on the YouTube channel of far-right media company Terça Livre. He claimed that Campos Mello, a reporter with Brazilian daily Folha de S.Paulo, had attempted to use sex to…

Read More ›

Investigative outlet Repórter Brasil targeted with cyberattacks, threats, attempted break-in

Rio de Janeiro, January 13, 2021 — Brazilian authorities must swiftly and thoroughly investigate threats to Repórter Brasil, and hold the perpetrators to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. From January 6 to 12, unidentified internet users orchestrated a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack on the website of Repórter Brasil, an investigative reporting and…

Read More ›

Brazilian court orders The Intercept Brasil, ND+ to modify coverage of court case

Rio de Janeiro, December 23, 2020 – The Committee to Protect Journalists today condemned a ruling by a Brazilian court requiring two local outlets to modify their reporting in response to a lawsuit. On December 12, Judge Cleni Serly Rauen Vieira, of the Santa Catarina state Court of Justice’s Third Civil Court, ordered independent news…

Read More ›

Brazilian radio journalist Marco Antônio Ferreira threatened, car burned

Rio de Janeiro, December 23, 2020 – Brazilian authorities must promptly and thoroughly investigate threats to radio journalist Marco Antônio Ferreira and the burning of his car, and determine if they were related to his reporting, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Around 3:30 a.m. on December 12, Ferreira, a host at the privately-owned broadcaster…

Read More ›