Seized

13 results arranged by date

FILE - A person walks into the One Franklin Square Building, home of The Washington Post newspaper, June 21, 2024, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

In highly unusual move, FBI searches Washington Post reporter Hannah Natanson’s home, seizes devices 

Update: After publication, the Washington Post reported in an update that its newsroom has also been subpoenaed.  Washington, D.C., January 14, 2026—Federal agents with the FBI have made a highly unusual move of searching the Virginia home of Washington Post reporter Hannah Natanson, and seizing her electronic devices, in a move that the Committee to…

Read More ›

Shahla Karim was reporting on an opposition candidate’s protest of alleged election fraud when around 10 plainclothes men in surgical masks forcibly detained the journalist, the candidate, and the candidate’s aide in the southeastern city of Neftchala. (Photo: Courtesy Shahla Karim)

Azerbaijani journalist Shahla Karim forcibly detained, transferred while covering opposition candidate’s protest

New York, September 10, 2024—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls for a swift investigation into the September 6 detention and transfer of Azerbaijani journalist Shahla Karim, who was released several hours later. “In yet another example of the harassment of media and lawlessness in Azerbaijan, journalist Shahla Karim was forcibly removed and transported hundreds of…

Read More ›

Journalist Greyson Chapita, seen here in 2020 at a Malawi Broadcasting Corporation control rooms in Blantyre, had his laptop searched by Malawi police on February 15, 2024. (Photo: Courtesy of Greyson Chapita)

Malawi police seize equipment from journalists amid ‘fake’ Facebook page investigation

On February 13, officers from Malawi’s Digital Forensics and Cybercrime Investigations department seized cell phones and laptops from 14 Malawi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) journalists, according to news reports, the Malawi chapter of regional press freedom group Media Institute of Southern Africa, South Africa-based rights group Campaign for Free Expression, and four of the affected journalists, who spoke to CPJ. The…

Read More ›

Turkish authorities harass Greek journalists covering earthquake, smash cameras and phones

Istanbul, March 21, 2023 – Turkish authorities should conduct a swift and thorough investigation into the recent official harassment of a Greek reporting crew and ensure that members of the press can work freely and safely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Tuesday. On February 16, members of the Presidency of Religious Affairs, a Turkish…

Read More ›

CPJ calls on U.S. to publish list of all websites recently seized in sanctions crackdown

New York, June 29, 2021 – The United States Justice Department should clarify its rationale for seizing dozens of media websites last week, and should publish a list of all websites targeted for allegedly violating sanctions, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On June 22, the Justice Department issued a statement saying that it…

Read More ›

Nigerian security forces seize journalists’ cameras, delete photos

On January 6, 2021, officers with Nigeria’s Security and Civil Defence Corps harassed at least three photojournalists in Abuja, the capital, seized their cameras, and deleted images they had taken, according to the journalists, who spoke with CPJ, and news reports. The three newspaper photographers—Olatunji Obasa with Punch, Olu Aremo with Leadership, and Mudashiru Atanda…

Read More ›

Turkish courts pursue trials, asset seizures in multiple cases against journalists

October 22, 2020, Istanbul – Turkey must stop harassing journalists and prosecuting them on trumped up charges, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Yesterday, a court Istanbul rejected an appeal by exiled journalist Can Dündar, thereby allowing authorities to seize his assets in Turkey, the news website Duvar English reported. Today, another Istanbul court…

Read More ›

Turkey threatens to seize assets of exiled journalist Can Dündar

Istanbul, September 17, 2020 – An Istanbul court today announced that Can Dündar, an exiled Turkish journalist living in Germany, would be declared a fugitive and his assets would be seized unless he returns to the country within 15 days, according to news reports. “Journalist Can Dündar has already paid a high price for his…

Read More ›

Nicaragua court seizes assets of independent broadcaster Canal 12

Managua, Nicaragua, September 14, 2020 – Nicaraguan authorities should immediately release the assets of independent broadcaster Nicavision Canal 12 and allow all media outlets to work freely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On September 11, Managua Judge Luden Quiroz García ordered the seizure of the outlet’s assets, including the channel’s main offices, vehicles…

Read More ›

Ghanaian soldier beats journalist, seizes reporters’ camera and phones

Abuja, August 21, 2020 — Authorities in Ghana must conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the recent attack and harassment of journalists Stanley Nii Blewu and Joseph Armstrong Gold-Alorgbey, and ensure those responsible are held to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On August 12, in Accra, the capital, a soldier kicked…

Read More ›