Ercan Gün, a news editor for Turkish Fox TV, has been detained since July 2016 on terrorism charges and for allegedly being involved in a conspiracy to blame the Turkish military for the 2007 murder of Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink.
Police in Istanbul detained Gün on July 29, 2016, as part of a sweeping crackdown on journalists and others suspected of being followers of exiled preacher Fethullah Gülen, according to his lawyer and court documents reviewed by the Committee to Protect Journalists. The government accuses Gülen of maintaining a terrorist organization and "parallel state structure" (or FETÖ/PDY, as the government calls it) within Turkey that it blames for orchestrating a failed military coup on July 15, 2016.
Istanbul’s Third Court of Penal Peace on August 2, 2016, ordered the journalist released on probation, but police detained him before he left the courthouse, on suspicion that he had broadcast a news report to tarnish the image of the military on the order of FETÖ/PDY, his lawyer, Çağrı Çetin, told CPJ.
The new allegations stemmed from his having broadcast footage on February 1, 2007, showing Ogün Samast — whom a juvenile court in 2011 convicted of the January 19, 2007 murder of Armenian-Turkish journalist Dink — receiving a Turkish flag and congratulations on the murder from police officers less than a day after Dink’s murder. The footage aired on TGRT-TV, which Fox bought and renamed later in 2007. The police officers in the footage were terrorism police, but were incorrectly identified as military police in the broadcast.
Turkish authorities ordered a retrial in the Dink case in May 2013, alleging that Gülenists murdered the journalist to defame the military and the ruling AKP, the party of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
Istanbul’s Second Court of Penal Peace on August 25, 2016, ordered that Gün remain jailed pending trial on the accusation that he was a member of a terrorist organization, and that he aired the story on Samast at FETÖ/PDY’s behest "to create the perception that the military is related to the murder," according to court records of the hearing, which CPJ reviewed.
Çetin told CPJ that police repeatedly asked Gün who gave him the footage, and that he said an officer promised that Gün would be released if he implicated Ekrem Dumanlı, then the editor-in-chief of the daily newspaper Zaman, which the government ordered closed using emergency powers it assumed after the failed July 2016 coup attempt. Gün previously worked at Zaman. Police produced call logs showing that he had spoken with Dumanlı and other senior Zaman staff by telephone shortly before the video aired, Çetin told CPJ. Gün said the calls to Dumanlı and others at Zaman were in pursuit of his severance package, his lawyer told CPJ.
An Istanbul court accepted a fourth indictment on May 29, 2017, which named Gün as one of several defendants, according to Bianet. The indictment centers on state officials who allegedly neglected to do their duty or conspired to allow Dink to be murdered. In the indictment, Gün is charged with “attempting through violence or force to disrupt the order as foreseen by the Constitution of the Republic” and “aiding and abetting a [terrorist] organization,” Bianet reported. If convicted of the first charge, he could face life in prison without parole. The indictment alleged that Gün tried to defame the military and “manipulate public perception” by publishing a photo of Dink’s murderer, according to Bianet. The court had rejected three earlier indictments from the prosecution for the retrial of the Dink murder case, according to press reports.
At a court hearing on October 3, 2017, Gün said that the photograph was a still from a video sent to the newsroom by mail, according to reports. Gün said that when the newspaper realized it had made a mistake in the photo’s caption, it corrected the caption and did not repeat the mistake.
Gün asked the court how he could have manipulated public perception with one editorial mistake.
On October 6, 2017, the court ordered some of the defendants released for the duration of the trial, but Gün was not among them, according to reports citing the Doğan News Agency.
On March 14, 2019, an Istanbul court hearing the Dink case ordered Gün to be released on probation, the pro-government daily Sabah reported. The following day, a different court accepted the prosecution’s appeal against that decision, Sabah reported.
As Gün is also jailed pending the outcome of the separate trial for allegedly being a member of a terrorist organization, he would not have been eligible for release, according to TV Medyascope.
Çetin, the lawyer representing Gün in 2016, told CPJ that year that his client has suffered from sleeping disorders and vision problems since being jailed.
Çetin no longer represents the journalist. As of late 2019, CPJ was unable to find contact details for a new lawyer.
Gün is detained in Silivri Prison in Istanbul. During a visit by a parliamentary commission to the prison in September 2019, Ali Haydar Hakverdi, from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), spoke with prisoners including Gün, according to the news website Odatv. Hakverdi said that the journalist told him that the prison offered no social activities, the food was greasy and bad, and authorities didn’t allow inmates to read some newspapers or watch some television channels. Gün said that he did not attend court hearings or visit a hospital during his imprisonment because he refused to be handcuffed, Odatv reported.