The Torch is a weekly newsletter from the Committee to Protect Journalists that brings you the latest press freedom and journalist safety news from around the world. Subscribe here.
Vietnamese blogger and 2018 International Press Freedom Awardee Nguyen Ngoc Nhu Quynh, known by her pen name “Mother Mushroom,” was released from prison on Wednesday. And CPJ joined partner organizations at the United Nations Thursday in urging Turkey to ask U.N. Secretary General António Guterres to establish an investigation into the possible extrajudicial execution of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Watch the full press conference here.
Global press freedom updates
- Russia’s Novaya Gazeta is sent funeral wreath and goat’s head in latest threats
- Gunmen in Pakistan kill K2 Times reporter
- Vietnam sentences citizen journalist on second anti-state charge
- Read the latest Turkey Crackdown Chronicle, CPJ’s weekly round-up of press freedom violations in the country
- DRC newspaper editor detained for criminal defamation. Separately, authorities in the country’s northwest closed two opposition radio stations
Do you have an Amazon Alexa-enabled device? Enable CPJ's flash briefing skill to stay up to date with the latest press freedom news from around the world.