DW

47 results arranged by date

A television screen shows that France 24 channel has been blocked in Niger.

Niger suspends 9 French media outlets for alleged public order threat

Dakar, May 15, 2026—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on authorities in Niger to reverse the suspension of nine France-based news outlets and to release all four journalists jailed since last year. The affected outlets are state-funded broadcasters France 24 and Radio France Internationale (RFI), Agence France-Presse (AFP) news agency, TV5Monde network, the pan-African weekly…

Read More ›

DW's Hausa correspondent Gazali Abdou Tasawa

Niger arrests DW correspondent over report on Nigerian refugees

Dakar, January 26, 2026—The Committee to Protect Journalists urges authorities in Niger to release Gazali Abdou Tasawa, a correspondent for the German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW), who was arrested over a report on Nigerian refugees living by a cemetery. “Gazali Abdou Tasawa is the fifth journalist trapped behind bars in Niger because of reporting…

Read More ›

Reuters journalist Raneen Sawafta receives medical care following an Israeli settler9 attack near Nablus on November 8, 2025.

Surging Israeli settler violence hurts West Bank journalists

With settler violence against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank spiking, journalists are also facing more frequent and severe attacks.  So far in 2025, the Committee to Protect Journalists has documented 11 attack incidents involving at least 23 Palestinian and international journalists by Israeli settlers — some alongside soldiers — compared with one attack on…

Read More ›

In a letter sent to the outlet, the Ethiopian Media Authority said their reporting violated the country’s media and hate speech laws and were “not in line with professional ethical standards.” (Screenshot: DW Amharic/YouTube)

Ethiopian authorities suspend licenses of Deutsche Welle’s local correspondents

Nairobi, October 24, 2025—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on the Ethiopian Media Authority to immediately lift its license suspension of Deutsche Welle (DW) correspondents operating in the country, and to allow journalists to report freely and without intimidation. “This blatant suspension of Deutsche Welle’s journalists is an outrageous act of censorship and intimidation,” said CPJ Africa Director Angela…

Read More ›

Adonis Alkhaled DW

German security guards abuse, beat DW Arabic reporter at concert

New York, October 16, 2024—German authorities must swiftly and transparently investigate security guards’ homophobic abuse and attack on a journalist with the public broadcaster DW’s Arabic service who was reporting at a concert in the western city of Düsseldorf, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Wednesday. “German authorities must ensure the security guards working for…

Read More ›

In an interview with TOLOnews on April 6, Najibullah Haqqani, the Taliban's acting Minister of Telecommunications and Information Technology, revealed plans to restrict or block access to Facebook in Afghanistan. (Screenshot: TOLOnews/YouTube)

CPJ calls on Taliban to drop plans to restrict Facebook access in Afghanistan

New York, April 8, 2024 – The Committee to Protect Journalists is alarmed by reports that the Taliban plans to restrict or block access to Facebook in Afghanistan and calls on authorities not to move ahead on a measure that would further impede the free flow of information in the country. On April 6, Najibullah Haqqani, the Taliban’s acting…

Read More ›

Deutsche Welle video

Venezuela pulls German TV station Deutsche Welle off the air after critical report

Bogotá, March 7, 2024—The Venezuelan government must allow German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle and other international news channels to broadcast freely in the country, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Thursday. On Monday, DW’s Spanish-language TV channel posted a video on X calling Venezuela “the world’s second most corrupt country” and reporting that high-ranking politicians…

Read More ›

CPJ joins call for Turkey to ensure safety of threatened journalist Alican Uludağ

The Committee to Protect Journalists joined five press freedom groups on Friday in a joint statement calling on the authorities in Turkey to ensure that journalist Alican Uludağ is safe, as he has been receiving online threats since he was publicly targeted by two politicians from the government-allied Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) because of his…

Read More ›

DW vehicle window

At least 3 journalists injured while covering Ukraine war

New York, July 26, 2023—Russian and Ukrainian authorities should swiftly investigate the recent attacks on journalists reporting in Ukraine and ensure that members of the press are not targeted while covering the war, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Wednesday. On Monday, July 24, Dylan Collins, a U.S. video journalist with the French news agency…

Read More ›

Turkish courts find 4 journalists guilty on criminal charges ahead of elections

Istanbul, May 9, 2023—Turkish authorities should not contest the appeals of the four journalists recently sentenced by multiple courts because of their reporting or commentary and should ensure that the media is not threatened by judicial harassment, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Tuesday.   Since April 20, authorities have sentenced journalists Sinan Aygül, Bülent…

Read More ›