In May of last year, Eduardo Bolsonaro, a Brazilian congressman and the son of President Jair Bolsonaro, made a series of searing accusations against journalist Patrícia Campos Mello on the YouTube channel of far-right media company Terça Livre. He claimed that Campos Mello, a reporter with Brazilian daily Folha de S.Paulo, had attempted to use sex to…
The Committee to Protect Journalists today joined three other human rights organizations in a joint statement commemorating Nicaragua’s national Day of the Journalist and calling on authorities to end the widespread harassment of members of the press, and ensure media outlets and press freedom organizations can work safely. In the statement, CPJ joined three regional…
New York, February 25, 2021 – In response to today’s release of a declassified U.S. intelligence report alleging that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman approved the 2018 killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the Committee to Protect Journalists released the following statement: “By releasing this intelligence report, President Joe Biden’s administration has reinforced what we…
Since April 2020, authorities in Argentina’s northeastern Formosa province have harassed journalists covering the regional government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, including through intimidation, brief detentions, and smear campaigns, according to journalists who spoke to CPJ, a statement by the Forum of Argentinian Journalism (FOPEA), a local free expression organization, and news reports. On April…
On February 4, Emmanuel Dogbevi turned to Twitter with a plea for help. He tagged press freedom groups and colleagues in a series of tweets, lamenting how allegations that he violated U.S. copyright law had prompted his news website to be taken offline. Dogbevi told CPJ via phone that Ghana Business News, the Ghana-based website he edits,…
On January 13, 2021, the Trinidad and Tobago High Court found that a police raid on the headquarters of the Daily Express newspaper the previous March was unconstitutional and infringed on the outlet’s right to press freedom, according to media reports and the court ruling. On March 11, 2020, a team of seven police officers…
The Committee to Protect Journalists and Human Rights Watch today issued a joint statement calling on Guatemalan authorities to stop harassing the press, strengthen protections for journalists, and ensure the government response to the COVID-19 pandemic does not restrict press freedom or access to information. The statement notes that the administration of President Alejandro Giammattei,…
Mexico City, February 17, 2021 – Mexican authorities must undertake a swift and credible investigation into the attack on reporter Edgar Leyva Mendoza, determine whether he was targeted for his work, and guarantee his safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On February 3, in Ocotlán, in the southern Mexican state of Oaxaca, two…
Bogotá, February 9, 2021 – Ecuadorian authorities must swiftly and thoroughly investigate threats made to journalist Dayanna Monroy, ensure she has adequate protection, and hold those responsible to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On January 27, former Ecuadorian President Abdalá Bucaram Ortiz posted a video to his personal Facebook account in which…
Miami, February 9, 2021 — Haitian authorities should thoroughly investigate the shootings of journalists Alvarez Destiné and Méus Jeanril, identify those responsible, and hold them to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Yesterday afternoon, in the Champs-des-Mars area of Port-au-Prince, the capital, unidentified attackers shot Destiné and Jeanril while they were covering protests calling for…