New York, March 16, 2021 — The Committee to Protect Journalists today called on the Colombian government to return to the Inter-American Court of Human Rights hearing on the case of Colombian journalist Jineth Bedoya and to uphold its obligations to ensure justice in cases of violence to journalists. Colombian representatives withdrew in protest yesterday…
With multiple federal investigations underway into the January 6 Capitol riot, concerns still abound about the spread of disinformation around the U.S. election. But the U.S. is not alone in confronting the phenomenon. Disinformation is happening all over the world – especially during high stakes events like national votes. “It’s language agnostic, it’s region agnostic,…
Rio de Janeiro, March 11, 2021 – Brazilian authorities should not arrest sports blogger Paulo Cezar de Andrade Prado, and should reform the country’s defamation laws to ensure members of the press do not face imprisonment for their work, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On February 23, the 26th Criminal Court of São…
New York, March 10, 2021 — In response to today’s acquittal of Des Moines Register reporter Andrea Sahouri by a court in Polk County, Iowa, on two misdemeanor charges stemming from her coverage of protests last year, the Committee to Protect Journalists issued the following statement: “The acquittal of journalist Andrea Sahouri in Iowa today…
The last time New York Times cybersecurity journalist Nicole Perlroth spoke with Emirati activist Ahmed Mansoor in 2016, his passport had been taken and he had recently been beaten almost to the point of death. “We learned later on that our phone conversation had been tapped, that someone was in his baby monitor, that his…
Mexico City, March 8, 2021 – Mexican authorities must immediately investigate threats made to journalist Alberto Amaro Jordán and guarantee his safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On March 2, at about 6:15 p.m., a sport utility vehicle attempted to force Amaro off the road while he was driving with his son in…
Bogotá, March 8, 2021 – The Committee to Protect Journalists today condemned a criminal defamation lawsuit filed against Peruvian journalists Graciela Tiburcio and Luciana Távara, and called on Peru to reform its laws to drop criminal penalties for speech. On February 25, Victor Hugo Quijada, a Peruvian congressional candidate, filed a criminal defamation lawsuit against…
Guatemala City, March 4, 2021 — Nicaraguan authorities must quickly and thoroughly investigate the harassment of journalist Wilih Narváez, ensure his safety, and hold those responsible to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On February 24, an unidentified man went to Narváez’s house in Managua, the capital, and yelled at the journalist’s mother…
Miami, March 4, 2021 — Cuban authorities must ensure that journalists and staff at the Cuban Institute for Freedom of Expression and the Press (ICLEP) are able to access the internet, and should allow its journalists to work freely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Since February 24, dozens of employees of ICLEP, a…
New York, March 3, 2021 – Local authorities in Iowa, Massachusetts, and North Carolina should drop all charges against journalists who were arrested while doing their jobs, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. This month, three journalists who are facing charges are scheduled to appear in court in relation to their coverage of protests…