Americas Program Research Associate
Reports to: Americas Senior Program Coordinator
Location: New York, USA
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Committee to Protect Journalists, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the defense of press freedom worldwide, seeks a researcher for its Americas program to work full-time in our New York City office. The Program Research Associate works under the supervision of the Americas Senior Program Coordinator to closely monitor, document and respond to press freedom abuses in the Americas. Applicants should have knowledge of media and human rights issues in Canada, the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, the ability to work independently and proactively, and a commitment to press freedom.
The program researcher key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor, document and respond to press freedom abuses in the region.
- Communicate regularly with journalists and human rights activists in the region.
- Research and write news alerts, letters of appeal, special reports and blog posts.
- Assist with planning and implementing of our advocacy efforts.
- Translate content into Spanish or vet translations.
- Maintain the Americas program's social media accounts.
- Help vet Journalist Assistance cases for the region.
- Assist program coordinator with miscellaneous administrative tasks, such as impact reports and program plans.
Qualifications and skills:
- Knowledge of press freedom and media issues in Canada, the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Fluency in Spanish and English (speaking, reading and writing) is required. Portuguese and/or French language skills are a plus.
- Fluency in social media is strongly preferred.
How to apply
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and three references to [email protected] Please include "Americas Program Research Associate" in the subject line. Please also include a 500-word personal statement on why you consider press freedom to be important.
Due to volume, we cannot reply to individual inquiries on the status of applications. If you are selected as a candidate, CPJ will contact you directly to arrange an interview. No phone calls please.
Applications accepted until position is filled