The Torch is a weekly newsletter from the Committee to Protect Journalists that brings you the latest press freedom and journalist safety news from around the world. Subscribe here.
CPJ Africa Program Coordinator Angela Quintal recounts CPJ’s harrowing ordeal in Tanzania. CPJ will honor four exceptional journalists at the 2018 International Press Freedom Awards. In the wake of the Capital Gazette attack, local U.S. newsrooms reassess their security. Bangladesh court grants bail to jailed photojournalist Shahidul Alam.
Global press freedom updates
Yesterday I met with the @PressFreedom 2018 International Press Freedom Awardees. It was an honor to meet these courageous journalists, recognized by CPJ for their work advancing #PressFreedom in their communities despite serious challenges to their safety and profession. pic.twitter.com/ct2buXQAAA
— Heather Nauert (@statedeptspox) November 15, 2018
- CPJ and some of its 2018 awardees met Wednesday with U.S. State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert and discussed press freedom challenges in Venezuela, Ukraine, Vietnam, the Philippines, Tanzania, and Egypt
- CPJ expressed outrage at Tanzania’s treatment of its Africa program team
- Authorities in the Philippines threaten to indict critical site Rappler on tax evasion charges. CPJ will honor Rappler‘s executive editor, Maria Ressa, with the 2018 Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award next week
- Authorities in Indian-controlled Kashmir deny bail for journalist Aasif Sultan
- Steven Butler, CPJ’s Asia program coordinator, expressed concern about the detention of Pakistani journalist Nasrullah Chaudhry on vague terrorism accusations. Read “Acts of Intimidation,” CPJ’s special report on press freedom in Pakistan
- CPJ interviews a Syrian journalist about her experience reporting from Damascus
- CPJ welcomes the repeal of the anti-defamation law in the Maldives
- Read the latest Turkey Crackdown Chronicle, CPJ’s weekly round-up of press freedom violations in the country
Do you have an Amazon Alexa-enabled device? Enable CPJ's flash briefing skill to stay up to date with the latest press freedom news from around the world.