1621 results arranged by date
The Committee to Protect Journalists led a coalition of local and national civil society and press freedom organizations Friday in a letter to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) expressing alarm about the detention of journalist Mario Guevara. Guevara, an Emmy-winning, Spanish-language reporter who covers immigration on his “MGnews” Facebook page and other social…
Paris, June 17, 2025—Iran’s conflict with Israel has intensified media censorship in the Islamic Republic, with Iranian journalists warned not to comment online and a task force set up to prosecute those sharing “fake” news, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Tuesday, calling for press freedom to be respected. Two Iranian journalists, who spoke to…
As protests over U.S. immigration enforcement raids began throughout the country last week, journalists rushed to cover the rapidly evolving story. Focus turned to Los Angeles, California, as President Donald Trump deployed the National Guard and Marines, notably without California Governor Gavin Newsom’s consent. Journalists on the ground in LA quickly became part of the…
Dakar, Senegal, June 11, 2025—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Togolese authorities to investigate and hold accountable the gendarmes who detained journalist Flore Monteau and forced her to delete footage she took of anti-government protests on June 6. Monteau was released the same day. “The arrest of Flore Monteau continues a pattern of censorship through detention…
Nairobi, June 10, 2025—Ethiopian authorities should immediately release journalist Tesfalem Waldyes, founder and editor-in-chief of the privately owned news outlet Ethiopia Insider, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Tuesday. He remains in detention despite having been granted bail. “The detention of Tesfalem Waldyes, even after a court-ordered his release, underscores the Ethiopian government’s disregard for judicial processes…
Washington, D.C., June 5, 2025—The Committee to Protect Journalists on Thursday condemned the issuance of arrest warrants for three Yemeni journalists and the nine-hour detention of two others, who were forced to delete a Facebook post about an assault. The security directorate in eastern Hadramout Governorate issued the three arrest warrants against Sabri bin Mukhshen, Abduljabar Bajabeer, and Muzahim Bajaber based…
Berlin, June 3, 2025—What journalists called a “witch hunt” atmosphere against government critics in Serbia one year ago has since escalated into a rise in attacks and threats against the press, following a deadly railway station collapse in November 2024 that triggered a widespread anti-corruption movement. Initial protests demanding accountability for the tragedy have turned…
New York, May 30, 2025—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Kyrgyz authorities to end the legal persecution of eight former and current Kloop news website staffers arrested this week—including journalists Aleksandr Aleksandrov and Joomart Duulatov, who on Friday were remanded into pretrial detention until July 21 on charges of calling for mass unrest. “Following Kloop’s forced shutdown last…
New York, May 28, 2025— The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Sudanese authorities to immediately release journalist and blogger Abduljalil Mohamed Abduljalil, who was arrested on Sunday by security forces affiliated with the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), and to stop arbitrarily arresting journalists for their reporting. “The abduction-like arrest of blogger and veteran journalist Abduljalil Mohamed Abduljalil…
Mexico City, May 27, 2025—Honduran authorities should conduct a prompt, thorough, and transparent investigation into the arbitrary detention, accounts of physical abuse and threats against journalist Frank Mejía, and ensure those responsible are held to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Tuesday. In the early hours of Sunday, May 18, police officers raided Mejía’s home…