Rafael Marques

34 results

Journalist and human-rights activist Rafael Marques detained

New York, July 13, 2001 — Authorities in Angola detained journalist and human-rights activist Rafael Marques this afternoon for approximately one hour, according to Angolan sources. Marques was covering the government’s forced relocation of residents from the Boavista district of Luanda to a camp in Viana (approximately 40 km outside Luanda). He, along with other…

Read More ›

Angola: Rafael Marques forbidden to travel

Your Excellency: The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) strongly protests your government’s continued harassment of journalist Rafael Marques, who was refused the right to leave the country this morning despite official assurances, and a signed court order, stating clearly that all travel restrictions against him had been lifted.

Read More ›

Rafael Marques on Trial

Special coverage from Luanda, Angola: Journalist charged with defaming the president

Read More ›

Rafael Marques de Morais outside a Luanda court on May 25. Criminal defamation charges have been reinstated against the investigative journalist just days after they were dropped. (AFP/Estelle Maussion)

Angola turns tables on Marques de Morais, reinstates criminal defamation charges

By on

Angolan journalist Rafael Marques de Morais is once again facing the threat of prison after the public prosecutor reinstated charges of criminal defamation on Monday. Seven Angolan generals have been pursuing criminal defamation charges against the investigative journalist over the publication of his 2011 book Blood Diamonds: Torture and Corruption in Angola, in which he…

Read More ›

Acclaimed journalist Marques de Morais on trial for defamation in Angola

By on

On Tuesday, less than a week after receiving an award for his journalism from the London-based freedom of expression group Index on Censorship, veteran journalist Rafael Marques de Morais will stand trial in Angola on charges of criminal defamation.

Read More ›

Angola: CPJ protests Marques trial convictions

Your Excellency: The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) is outraged by the prison sentences recently imposed on free-lance journalist Rafael Marques and on Aguiar dos Santos, publisher of the private weekly newspaper Agora.

Read More ›

Locals walk along the beach during sunset in the capital Luanda, Angola in June 2016. CPJ today condemned a decision by Angolan authorities to continue the trial of journalists Rafael Marques de Morais, who runs the anti-corruption news website Maka Angola, and Mariano Bras Lourenco, a correspondent for the newspaper O Crime, behind closed doors instead of in open court. (Reuters/Ed Cropley)

CPJ concerned with developments in trial against Angolan journalists

New York, April 16, 2018–The Committee to Protect Journalists today condemned a decision by Angolan authorities to continue the trial of journalists Rafael Marques de Morais, who runs the anti-corruption news website Maka Angola, and Mariano Bras Lourenco, a correspondent for the newspaper O Crime, behind closed doors instead of in open court. The two…

Read More ›

In this November 4, 2014, file photo, editor Rafael Marques de Morais smiles on a visit to Johannesburg, South Africa. (AP/Simon Allison)

Angolan journalists charged with crimes against state

New York, June 23, 2017–Angolan authorities should immediately drop all charges against journalists Rafael Marques de Morais and Mariano Bras Lourenco, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

In Angola, two journalists charged over report on corruption

New York, December 29, 2016–Angolan authorities should immediately drop charges against two journalists, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Rafael Marques de Morais, who runs the anti-corruption website Maka Angola, and Mariano Bras, of the weekly, O Crime, were charged with “crimen injuria,” which is similar to insult laws, the journalists told CPJ.

Read More ›

Angolan journalist slapped with 15 new criminal defamation charges

New York March 25, 2015–The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Angolan authorities to drop all charges against journalist Rafael Marques de Morais.

Read More ›