Over the past 10 years, China’s media environment has been transformed by the explosion of the Internet and, since 2010, the phenomenon of weibo, or microblogs, which now have more than 309 million users. Click through the slideshow to see how Internet use has evolved.
- Internet Penetration Rate in China
- Total Internet Users in China
- Average Time Spent Online
- Internet Users by Gender
- Percentage of Internet Users in China by Age
- Internet Penetration by Province, 2012
All statistics come from the China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC), a Chinese government organization under the Ministry of Information Industry (MII).
Related reading: “Beyond the Reach of Censors”
Read the full special report, “Challenged in China”