July 26, 2006, in Saratov, Russia
Gerasimenko's mother found the journalist with a plastic bag over his head and multiple bruises on his body. Police found no signs of forced entry, but Gerasimenko's computer was missing, local reports said. Gerasimenko had been investigating the corporate takeover of a local commercial enterprise, Saratovsky Rasklad Editor-in-Chief Vladimir Spiryagin told the United Volga news Web site.
In November, a regional court in Saratov convicted a local man, Sergei Finogeyev, in the killing and sentenced him to 18 years in prison. In a statement, the prosecutor's office said the slaying occurred during a robbery.
Motive Unconfirmed: CPJ is investigating to determine whether the death was work-related.
- Attacks on the Press 2006: Russia, February 5, 2007
- Authorities release details in journalist’s murder , August 2, 2006
- Unnamed suspect arrested in slaying; police say robbery was motive , July 31, 2006
- U.S. Senate issues condemnation in Klebnikov killing , July 28, 2006
- In Russia, reporter found slain in apartment , July 26, 2006