Your Excellency: The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) condemns the recent attacks against Hasan Jahid Tusher, a correspondent for the English-language newspaper The Daily Star, and Jahangir Alam Akas, a reporter of the Bengali-language daily Sangbad. These are the latest in a series of assaults against journalists in Bangladesh, none of which your government has adequately investigated.
New York, August 4, 2003—American free-lance journalist William Nessen was released on Sunday, August 3, after being convicted the previous day on immigration charges. The Banda Aceh District Court sentenced Nessen to 40 days in jail, time he had already served. Chief Justice Syafruddin Nasution convicted Nessen of reporting without informing local authorities in war-torn…
Your Excellency: The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) condemns the recent murder of Bonifacio Gregorio, a reporter and columnist for the weekly Dyaryo Banat, in La Paz, Tarlac Province. On the evening of July 8, an unidentified gunman approached Gregorio while he was talking to a colleague on a cell phone in front of his house and shot him in the head three times at close range. According to news reports, the gunman was likely a professional killer who fled the scene on foot. Gregorio was rushed to La Paz District Hospital, before being transferred to Ramos General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
New York, July 25, 2003—Taiwan’s High Court today sentenced reporter Hung Che-cheng to one and a half years in prison on sedition charges for allegedly revealing military secrets. Though the court granted Hung a three-year suspended sentence, the threat of imprisonment remains. The sedition charges stem from a July 29, 2000, article that Hung wrote…
Your Excellency: The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) is greatly alarmed by a series of recent threats and attacks against journalists in Bangladesh and urges your government to take immediate action to ensure that these crimes are prosecuted vigorously.
New York, July 23, 2003—American free-lance journalist William Nessen went on trial today in the restive Indonesian province of Aceh for immigration violations. He faces up to five years in prison if convicted. After the prosecution presented four witnesses, the hearing was adjourned until July 30. Nessen, 46, angered Indonesian military authorities by remaining with…
New York, July 18, 2003—The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) condemns the decision by Indonesian authorities to prosecute free-lance journalist William Nessen, a U.S. citizen who was arrested on June 24 after spending weeks reporting from rebel-held territory in war-torn Aceh Province. Aceh state prosecutor Tengku Lutfi told journalists today that Nessen has been charged…
New York, July 16, 2003—A top Vietnamese government official has said that imprisoned writer and publisher Nguyen Dan Que would be released only if he agrees to leave Vietnam permanently and live in exile, according to a Sunday, July 13, report from the U.S.-funded Radio Free Asia (RFA) confirmed by CPJ. RFA reported that Deputy…