Zimbabwe / Africa

  

Government to Silence Independent Papers “Once and for All”

Click here to read more about press freedom conditions in ZIMBABWE New York, November 2, 2000 — Zimbabwe’s minister of information and publicity has threatened to charge two independent Harare newspapers, the Daily News and the weekly Standard, and their senior staff with criminal defamation. The minister also warned that the government would soon amend…

Read More ›

Soldiers Assault Four International Journalists During Riot

Click here to read more about press freedom conditions in ZIMBABWE New York, October 19, 2000 — Zimbabwean soldiers attacked four international journalists yesterday in the western Harare township of Dzivarasekwa, according to international news reports and CPJ sources in the region.

Read More ›

Police defied Supreme Court in raid on radio station

Click here to read more about press freedom conditions in ZIMBABWE. New York, October 6, 2000 — The High Court of Zimbabwe today ordered the return of equipment confiscated on Thursday from Capital Radio, a newly launched independent FM station. It also ordered the country’s Commissioner of Police to show why he should not be…

Read More ›

Zimbabwe: Government drags heels on private broadcast licenses

Your Excellency: The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) welcomes the recent Supreme Court decision to allow private broadcasting in Zimbabwe. We urge you to implement the Court’s ruling with all possible speed.

Read More ›

“Like a Walk in a Minefield”

Results of Zimbabwe’s parliamentary elections signal new dangers for independent journalists.

Read More ›

Zimbabwe: Journalists covering elections subjected to intimidation

Your Excellency: The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) is deeply concerned by the climate of intimidation in which journalists covering the upcoming parliamentary elections in Zimbabwe are being forced to work. In recent weeks, local and foreign correspondents have been subjected to harassment and even violence by politicians and other individuals associated with your government and the ruling Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF).

Read More ›

President Mugabe asked to guarantee safety

Click here to read more about press freedom conditions in ZIMBABWE. New York, June 21, 2000 –As Zimbabwe’s June 24-25 parliamentary elections approach, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) is calling on President Robert Mugabe to publicly guarantee that journalists will be free to cover them without fear of reprisal.

Read More ›

Three journalists fined for criminal defamation

Click here to read more about press freedom conditions in ZIMBABWE. New York, June 20, 2000 — Three journalists from the independent Zimbabwean weekly The Standard were sentenced to pay massive fines after a Harare court found them guilty of criminal defamation last week, sources in Zimbabwe told CPJ.

Read More ›

SUPREME COURT DISMISSES CHARGES AGAINST TWO TORTURED JOURNALISTS

New York, May 23, 2000 — The Supreme Court of Zimbabwe dismissed charges against reporters Mark Chavunduka and Ray Choto for publishing a report alleging a military coup plot against President Robert Mugabe, according to international reports and CPJ’s sources in Harare.

Read More ›

AP Photographer cleared of all charges, allowed to leave country

Click here to read more about press freedom conditions in ZIMBABWE. New York, May 3, 2000— Zimbabwe authorities cleared all charges yesterday against Associated Press photographer Obed Zilwa, who had been held on suspicion of perpetrating a terrorist bomb attack on the Harare offices of the Daily News, local sources told CPJ.

Read More ›