2012

  

From Small World, timely advice on safe satphone use

Journalists and technologists often speak different languages. But a Portland, Oregon-based nonprofit, Small World News, is bridging the gap with a new guide on the safe use of satellite phones. It comes at a critical time. The group’s Guide to Safely Using Satphones just went online, less than three weeks after the deaths of international…

Read More ›

Afghanistan must uphold its commitment to free press

Dear President Karzai: We are deeply concerned by the potential repercussions of a March 10 statement released by Ministry of Defense spokesman Gen. Zahir Azimi over an article written by The Wall Street Journal reporter Maria Abi-Habib. The statement, which personally attacks the journalist, sends a chilling message to other reporters who write about alleged government misconduct. We call on you to publicly address Azimi’s statement and ask all government officials to refrain from attacks on journalists. We also ask you to uphold your commitment to a free press in Afghanistan that you have made many times in the past.

Read More ›

The offices of Angolan weekly Folha 8 have been stripped of their computers, forcing the paper to stop publishing at least for now. (Courtesy A. Neto)

Angolan police raid weekly’s office, seize computers

New York, March 12, 2012–The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns today’s Angolan police raid at the independent weekly Folha 8, which was conducted in connection with a politicized investigation into the publication of a satirical photo montage. Officers confiscated all of Folha 8’s computers, effectively crippling the operations of one of the country’s two remaining…

Read More ›

Turkey releases journalists, grave concerns remain

New York, March 12, 2012–The release of Turkish journalists Nedim Şener, Ahmet Şık, Muhammet Sait Çakır, and Coşkun Musluk, who are among dozens of journalists imprisoned in Turkey for alleged participation in a purported antistate plot known as Ergenekon, is a welcome development, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

Philippine journalist critically injured in shooting

New York, March 12, 2012–Philippine authorities must immediately launch an investigation into the shooting of journalist Fernan Angeles, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. CPJ is investigating the motive in the attack, which left the journalist hospitalized in critical condition today.  

Read More ›

Turkey’s jailed journalists

The New Yorker speaks of Turkey’s imprisonment of journalists as one of the worst in the world in its online blog, Daily Comment, with commentary from CPJ’s Executive Director Joel Simon on the situation.  Click here for the full story  

Read More ›

The author, right, looks on as Sen. José González Morfín, center, confers with CPJ Americas Senior Program Coordinator Carlos Lauría. (Ignacio González Anaya)

Mexican senators say journalist murders to be federal crime

With near impunity in the murders of journalists a persistent reason for the terror and self-censorship among Mexican news organizations, legislators say the national Senate is on the verge of passing a constitutional amendment that would allow federal authorities to take over cases of crimes against freedom of expression. Passage would mean that the typically…

Read More ›

Plainclothes police escort Syed Mohammed Kazmi, an alleged suspect in last month's bombing of an Israeli diplomatic vehicle, from a local court, in New Delhi Wednesday. (AP/Manish Swarup)

Arrest in bombing case prompts scrutiny in India

To many in the Indian media community, the arrest of independent journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi by the Delhi police’s Special Cell on March 6 for his alleged involvement in a bombing brings back troublesome memories.

Read More ›

Journalist Mae Azango and her colleagues at FrontPage Africa have been threatened repeatedly for her story on female genital mutilation. (New Narratives)

In Liberia, reporting on genital mutilation draws threats

New York, March 9, 2012–The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Liberian authorities to ensure the safety of journalists who have been repeatedly threatened for exposing the practice of female genital mutilation in the country.

Read More ›

Egyptian journalists accused of ‘insulting armed forces’

New York, March 9, 2012–Egyptian authorities should immediately dismiss a baseless complaint of antistate activities that has been lodged against several journalists, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The case has been referred to military prosecutors as part of a broader practice that has raised constitutional and international concerns.

Read More ›