June 8, 2009, in Mogadishu, Somalia
Hirabe, 48, was shot several times in the head by unidentified gunmen as he and a colleague, Ahmed Omar Hashi, were walking to work in the capital, local journalists told CPJ. Hashi, 41, was shot in the stomach and hand but survived.
A veteran Radio Shabelle reporter, Hirabe took up the role as station director after the former director, Said Tahlil Ahmed, was murdered in February. A popular journalist, Hirabe had led a charity drive to help displaced Somali children in 2006. He was survived by two wives and five children.
Beats Covered: Politics
Local or Foreign: Local
Type of Death: Murder
Suspected Source of Fire: Political Group
Taken Captive: No
- Evacuating Somali reporters who face unrelenting violence, August 18, 2011
- Getting Away With Murder, April 20, 2010
- Special Report: A Somali Journalist in Exile, April 13, 2010
- Somali journalists leave profession in fear as another dies, June 9, 2009
- Fifth Somali journalist killed this year, June 8, 2009