May 24, 2000, in Rogberi Junction, Sierra Leone
Schork, 53, and Moreno de Mora, 32, were traveling in two vehicles with soldiers from the Sierra Leone Army (SLA) when RUF forces opened fire on them east of Rogberi Junction, some 54 miles from the capital, Freetown. The ambush took place in an area that had recently been the scene of fierce fighting between rebels and pro-government forces.
Four SLA soldiers were also killed in the incident, while two other Reuters journalists, cameraman Mark Chisholm and photographer Yannis Behrakis, were wounded. Chisholm and Behrakis received first-aid treatment at a local hospital run by United Nations peacekeepers before they were evacuated to Indian Field Hospital in Freetown, where they were treated for minor injuries.
Job: Print Reporter
Beats Covered: War
Local or Foreign: Foreign
Type of Death: Crossfire/Combat-Related
Suspected Source of Fire: Military Officials
- Under Stress, May 12, 2005
- On Assignment: Covering Conflicts Safely, February 27, 2003
- Attacks on the Press 2000: Introduction, March 19, 2001
- Attacks on the Press 2000: Sierra Leone, March 19, 2001
- 24 JOURNALISTS KILLED FOR THEIR WORK IN 2000 Highest Tolls in Colombia, Russia, and Sierra Leone , January 4, 2001
- More »