Journalists Killed  |  Angola

Simao Roberto

Journal de Angola

June 5, 1998, in Luanda, Angola

Roberto, a reporter for the government-owned Journal de Angola, was gunned down in his car outside the newspaper's offices in Luanda as he returned from the presidential palace, where he had covered a meeting of the Council of Ministers. Roberto was a well-known government critic whose colleagues believe was killed because of his journalistic work. Police subsequently presented three suspects they said carried out the attack, but a few days later one of the suspects denied involvement and said he had been forced to confess to get a lesser charge on another offense.


Medium: Print

Job: Print Reporter

Beats Covered: Corruption, Politics

Gender: Male

Local or Foreign: Local

Freelance: No

Type of Death: Murder

Suspected Source of Fire: Unknown Fire

Impunity: Yes

Taken Captive: No

Tortured: No

Threatened: No


Previous Journalist, 1998 »

Previous Journalist, Angola »