hong kong

837 results

Japan should release journalists covering Chinese protest

New York, August 16, 2012–Japanese authorities should release two Phoenix TV journalists detained Wednesday while covering Chinese protesters landing on a disputed territory between Japan and China, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. 

Read More ›

Xi Jinping's youth is the subject of an article that may be related to a newspaper editor's reassignment. Xi is expected to be China's next president. (AP/Jason Lee)

Chinese censors move staff from outspoken papers

Top figures at two outspoken newspapers in China were shuffled or suspended this week, according to online news reports.

Read More ›

China’s diverse censors

Attempts to rein in microblogs like Sina Weibo are a huge part of China’s sophisticated information control strategy these days. However, news reports last week serve as a reminder that propaganda authorities also rely on methods that are more old school. 

Read More ›

A police officer stands guard as protesters gather in the city of Shifang. (Reuters/Petar Kujundzic)

Shallow victory for China’s journalists, protesters

Shi Junrong, Xi’an Evening News bureau chief in the city of Wei’an, ran into trouble recently after he reported on the costly brand of luxury cigarettes favored by local officials. He announced on his microblog that the paper suspended him soon after, according to the U.S. government-funded Radio Free Asia.

Read More ›

What China’s Weibo censorship does, and does not, reveal

A flurry of research on Weibo censorship underscores what we already know about the Chinese company Sina’s microblog service–with a few surprises thrown in. 

Read More ›

(Google)

What to do if Google warns of state-sponsored attack

Some journalists continue to receive the warning from Google about state-sponsored attacks that we mentioned last week. The message appears on top of logged-in services like Gmail. Occasionally it will disappear for a few hours and then reappear, but there is no way to remove it.

Read More ›

Google declared last week that it would start listing search terms that are censored in China. (Reuters/Jason Lee)

Google gives Chinese Web users glimpse into censorship

In China, people know enough not to take to the streets to commemorate the brutal crackdown on demonstrators in Tiananmen Square in 1989. Beijing is very quiet in the days before and after June 4. The Internet is a different story.

Read More ›

Several Internet users in China are now unable to access Weibo, the popular microblog platform. (Reuters)

Chinese microblog regulates, suspends users–again

Pity those of us who monitor the ups and downs of China’s popular microblog platform, Sina Weibo. For every story its users spread in defiance of local censorship, there follows a clampdown. Whether it’s the latest strike against rumors, or real name registration, or newly banned keywords, there’s always another restriction in the works as…

Read More ›

China shuts out Al-Jazeera English in Beijing

New York, May 7, 2012–China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs should immediately grant accreditation to Al-Jazeera English reporters to work in China, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The channel said China has refused its long-time correspondent Melissa Chan and other colleagues journalist visas, forcing it to close its Beijing bureau. 

Read More ›

A police officer records the press card of a journalist outside a hospital where Chen Guangcheng is seeking treatment. (AP/Ng Han Guan)

Chen Guangcheng reporting censored, obstructed

New York, May 3, 2012–Chinese security officials’ ongoing obstruction of foreign and domestic journalists covering dissident Chen Guangcheng is a worrying sign for supporters trying to secure his safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Authorities in Chen’s native Shandong province have kept the blind, self-taught lawyer isolated from the media since September 2010.

Read More ›