With the support of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, CPJ is waging a global campaign against impunity. Our work focuses closely on Russia and the Philippines, nations with high numbers of journalist murders and low conviction rates. CPJ works with local journalist groups to:
- Document and publicize the murders of journalists and subsequent law enforcement actions.
- Advocate for justice in meetings with local prosecutors, police, government officials, and judicial officials.
- Provide support for the families of victims.
- Conduct discussions and press conferences to publicize the problem and identify solutions.
- Analyze data, investigate cases, and produce in-depth reports identifying law enforcement failures and recommending solutions.
- Promote the use of witness protection programs, change-of-venue motions, and other techniques proven effective in obtaining justice.
- Enlist the support of the international community in seeking justice.