Mexico City, June 29, 2021 — Mexican authorities must undertake a swift and transparent investigation into the killing of media worker Saúl Tijerina Rentería, and determine whether he was targeted for his work, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Tijerina’s family lost contact with him early in the morning of June 22, and his…
Bogotá, June 29, 2020 – Ecuadorian authorities should investigate threats made to journalist Luis Eduardo Vivanco and hold the perpetrators to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On June 24, Vivanco, founder of the satirical news website La Posta, was walking his dog in Quito, the capital, when an unidentified man began screaming…
New York, June 29, 2021 – The United States Justice Department should clarify its rationale for seizing dozens of media websites last week, and should publish a list of all websites targeted for allegedly violating sanctions, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On June 22, the Justice Department issued a statement saying that it…
As demonstrators in the Canadian province of British Columbia protest the logging of one of the province’s last old-growth forests, located in the Fairy Creek watershed on Pacheedaht First Nations territory on Vancouver Island, journalists have been impeded from covering the story. Since May 17, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have enforced an injunction — approved by…
Washington, D.C., June 24, 2021 — Toronto police should explain why they detained photojournalist Ian Willms and drop any charges against him, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. At about 1:30 p.m. on June 22, police detained Willms, a freelance photojournalist, after he climbed into a fenced-off area while attempting to photograph officers forcing…
New York, June 23, 2021 — Nicaraguan authorities should immediately release journalist Miguel Mendoza, drop the criminal investigation into him, and halt the escalating campaign of harassment against the independent press, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. At about 9 p.m. on June 21, officers with the Nicaraguan National Police detained Mendoza and raided…
The Committee to Protect Journalists today joined seven other civil society groups in a joint statement calling on the United States government to transparently investigate any role Egyptian officials may have played in the killing of Saudi journalist and U.S. resident Jamal Khashoggi, and to publicly disclose any findings from that investigation. On June 21,…
Miami, June 22, 2021 — Cuban authorities must immediately release journalist Lázaro Yuri Valle Roca, drop any charges against him, and allow the press to report freely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On June 15, agents from the Cuban Revolutionary Police detained Valle when he presented himself at the Zapata y C police…
Mexico City, June 22, 2021 – Mexican authorities should conduct a swift, thorough, and transparent investigation into the killing of journalist Gustavo Sánchez Cabrera, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. At about 8 a.m. on June 17, two unidentified people driving a car near the town of Morro Mazatán, in the southern state of…
Rio de Janeiro, June 21, 2021 – Authorities in Rio de Janeiro should immediately drop a criminal investigation into journalist Leandro Demori, and stop using the threat of criminal charges to intimidate journalists, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On May 12, the Rio de Janeiro Civil Police Unit for Repression of Cyber Crimes…