Abuja, June 10, 2020 – Nigerian authorities should immediately release journalist Saint Mienpamo Onitsha, drop all charges against him, and reform the country’s cybercrime act to ensure it is not used to prosecute the press, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On June 4, officers with Nigeria’s Department of State Services detained Onitsha, founder…
Abuja, June 9, 2020 — Authorities in Nigeria should publicly disclose why they are seeking journalist Cletus Opukeme, and should not harass reporters over their professional connections, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. At about 3 p.m. on May 28, at the Nigeria Union of Journalists’ office in Warri, a city in southern Delta…
Abuja, May 28, 2020 — Nigerian authorities should drop all charges against journalist Kufre Carter and ensure that the press is not harassed by the country’s security forces, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On April 27, in the southern city of Uyo, officers with Nigeria’s Department of State Services arrested Carter, a presenter…
Abuja, May 19, 2020 — Nigerian authorities should cease their intimidation of journalist Saint Mienpamo Onitsha and ensure that security forces permit the press to work freely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.
[Editors’ Note: This article has been changed in its headline and fifth paragraph to reflect the Ebonyi governor’s more recent statements.] Abuja, April 24, 2020 — Authorities in Nigeria should stop harassing journalists Peter Okutu and Chijioke Agwu, and must cease using COVID-19-related laws to stifle the press, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.
At a public hearing on Nigeria’s social media bill held in Abuja last month, the voice of Chris Isiguzo, president of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ), rang clearly across the room: “This bill…seeks to pigeonhole Nigerians from freely expressing themselves.” The NUJ is “totally opposed” to it, he said.
On March 19, 2020, government authorities at the Digital Economy Complex in Abuja, Nigeria, expelled journalists from the privately owned broadcaster Africa Independent Television who were preparing to cover an event attended by President Muhammadu Buhari, according to a statement by Daar Communications PLC, the broadcaster’s parent company.
New York, March 6, 2020 — Nigerian authorities should ensure that Premium Times employees are able to work in safety and without interference or intimidation, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.
Laws and Rights Awareness Initiative, a Nigerian nongovernmental organization, filed a lawsuit on February 25 against the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) over regulations granting warrantless access to telecom subscribers’ information, including “call data.” The suit claims that accessing the information “violates and will likely further violate” Nigerians’ constitutional right to privacy, according to a copy…