New York, January 16, 2007—The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns a Moroccan court’s decision on Monday to sentence two independent journalists to suspended jail terms and close their magazine for two months.
The Casablanca court handed down three-year suspended sentences to Driss Ksikes, director and editor of the independent weekly Nichane, and reporter Sanaa al-Aji for denigrating Islam under Morocco’s Press and Publication Law. The journalists were also fined 80,000 dirhams (US$9,300), Ksikes told CPJ. The prison terms could be imposed if either journalist is convicted of a future offense.
Ksikes said he was considering an appeal but had yet to make a decision.
“We reject the notion that these journalists committed a crime,” said CPJ Executive Director Joel Simon. “Morocco has cast itself as liberalizing nation, yet by sentencing journalists to jail for their work and closing their publications, it has shown once again that its press is far from free.”
The charges against Ksikes and al-Aji stem from a 10-page article analyzing popular jokes about religion, sex, and politics, which was published in Nichane in early December 2006. The suit was brought after complaints from Islamist Web sites, according to international news reports. One of the jokes described a man at the gates of heaven, where God and the Prophet Muhammad were unable to locate his name on a ledger of entrants. After the man becomes frightened, Ksikes said, God and Muhammad laugh and remark, “Thank you for participating in ’Candid Camera.’”
Ksikes and al-Aji were charged with denigrating Islam under Article 41 of the Press and Publication Law 2002. The state prosecutor had initially called for harsher penalties that included three to five years in jail, fines ranging from 10,000 to 100,000 dirhams (US$1,100 to US$11,600), a lifetime ban on practicing journalism, and the permanent closure of the magazine.
Prime Minister Driss Jettou had banned Nichane on December 20; the court’s decision on Monday effectively extends the closure for another two months. The Arabic-language magazine, launched late last year, is a sister publication of the independent French-language weekly TelQuel. Both magazines are owned by the TelQuel Group headed by Ahmed Reda Benchemsi.
Benchemsi said the religious jokes involved God, angels, and prophets as characters, but the jokes did not make fun of them; Nichane later apologized on public television for any offense caused.
According to Moroccan journalists, the Moroccan authorities sought to use the prosecution to curry favor with Islamists ahead of legislative elections and to weaken the independent Nichane.
In February 2006, another weekly came under fire for offending religious beliefs. Moroccan authorities orchestrated protests against the weekly Le Journal Hebdomadaire after it published a photograph of a French newspaper showing one of the controversial Danish cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. The magazine’s publisher was later ordered to pay record damages in a defamation judgment widely seen as politically motivated.
Moroccan court sentences two journalists to several years in prison
July 3, 2018 4:49 PM ET
New York, July 3, 2018--Moroccan authorities should immediately release journalists Mohamed al-Asrihi and Hamid al-Mahdaoui and drop all charges against them, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The Casablanca Court of Appeals sentenced al-Asrihi on June 26 to five years in prison and a fine of 2,000 Moroccan...
Moroccan court convicts local publisher of criminal defamation
February 14, 2018 1:05 PM ET
New York, February 14, 2018--Moroccan authorities should drop all charges against Akhbar al-Youm columnist and publisher Taoufik Bouachrine on appeal, and allow him to work without fear of reprisal, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Moroccan authorities detain, expel British journalist
September 29, 2017 10:01 AM ET
New York, September 29, 2017--Moroccan authorities should lift any restriction on journalist Saeed Kamali Dehghan's ability to travel to the country, and allow all journalists to report freely on matters of public interest, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Plainclothes policemen on September 27 detained Dehghan while he...
New York, July 27, 2017--Moroccan authorities should lift any restriction on the ability of journalists José Luis Navazo and Fernando Sanz to enter the country and should allow journalists to report freely on matters of public interest, including protests, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Editor of Morocco news website arrested on way to cover Rif protests
July 21, 2017 4:37 PM ET
New York, July 21, 2017--Moroccan authorities should immediately release Badil Editor-in-Chief Hamid al-Mahdaoui, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Police arrested al-Mahdaoui yesterday as he traveled to the Rif area of northern Morocco to cover protests, according to one of the journalist's colleagues and news reports....