New York, November 22, 2006—Roberto Marcos García, a reporter for the Veracruz-based publication Testimonio and local correspondent for the Mexico City weekly Alarma, was found murdered yesterday in southern Mexico. The Committee to Protect Journalists is investigating possible links between García’s murder and his journalism.
García, who was traveling from Veracruz to the nearby city of Alvarado on his motorcycle, was run down by a car with Mexico City plates at 1 p.m. near the town of La Matoza, the Mexican press reported. Unidentified assailants shot García, while he was on the ground, twice on the head and at least four times in the chest, according to press reports and a CPJ source.
Marco Antonio Aguilar Yunes, Deputy Prosecutor for the State of Veracruz, told the U.S.-based television news channel Univisión that authorities had found bullet casings from at least two guns at the scene, and had recovered the attackers’ car. He said police had not determined a motive for the murder.
García had reported for 13 years on violent crime and drug trafficking in Veracruz, a colleague told CPJ. García’s last report, which was published a week before his death in the bimonthly Testimonio, detailed the activities of a gang of thieves who stole goods coming into Veracruz port, said García’s colleague. Other reporters in Veracruz said that García had previously received death threats on his cellular phone.
“We are saddened by the murder of our colleague Roberto Marcos García, and concerned about the series of murderous attacks against the Mexican press this year” said CPJ Executive Director Joel Simon.
CPJ research shows that five other journalists have been killed in Mexico this year. CPJ has confirmed that one of the five journalists was slain in connection with his reporting. It continues to investigate the killings of the four others.
Mexico City, July 26, 2017--Mexican authorities must undertake a swift and credible investigation into death threats sent to José Maldonado and ensure the journalist's safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Journalists receive death threats in Mexican state of Quintana Roo
July 21, 2017 5:34 PM ET
New York, July 21, 2017--Authorities in the southern Mexican state of Quintana Roo must undertake a swift and credible investigation into threats against two journalists and ensure their safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On July 19, banners containing threatening messages, known as "narcomantas," were left in...
Mexican journalist says he was attacked, threatened by police
June 29, 2017 6:20 PM ET
Mexico City, June 29, 2017--Mexican authorities should swiftly and credibly investigate the alleged assault of journalist Rubén Pat, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Pat, the co-founder of the online news resource Semanario Playa News, told CPJ that police beat him, detained him overnight, and threatened him for...
Spyware targeted Mexican journalists and activists
June 20, 2017 6:17 PM ET
Mexico City, June 20, 2017--Attempts to spy on Mexican journalists and human rights activists by infiltrating their mobile devices with spyware threaten press freedom in the country, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. A report released in Mexico City yesterday by the press freedom group Article 19 and...
Reporter threatened and has part of ear cut off in Mexico's Quintana Roo state
June 1, 2017 5:12 PM ET
Mexico City, June 1, 2017--Authorities in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo must undertake a swift investigation into the attack on journalist Carlos Barrios, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. An unidentified man threatened Barrios, who reports for the news website Aspectos, and cut off part of his...