U.S. military pledges to expedite cases of detained journalists
March 24, 2006 12:00 PM ET
New York, March 24, 2006—The Committee to Protect Journalists welcomes U.S. officials’ pledge this week to begin prompt, high-level reviews of cases in which journalists are detained by troops in Iraq. CPJ documented seven cases in 2005 alone in which U.S. forces detained Iraqi journalists for periods of many weeks or months without charge or due process.
In Baghdad, Maj. Gen. John Gardner told Reuters on Tuesday that the U.S. military has established a new goal of reviewing cases of detained journalists within 36 hours. U.S. troops across Iraq have been ordered to report the arrest of anyone claiming to be a journalist to Gardner personally, and news organizations will be given the chance to vouch for their journalists, he told Reuters. Legitimate journalists, he said, would be released swiftly.
“Once a journalist is detained," Gardner told Reuters, "it comes to me." The change, he added, is designed to ensure that "we don’t hold someone for six or eight months.”
In Washington, a Pentagon spokesman confirmed broad elements of the policy change in an interview with CPJ late Thursday. "The intent is to bring better visibility and quicker attention to the [U.S. military] leadership when a journalist is detained," said Bryan Whitman, deputy assistant secretary of defense for public affairs.
Watching or filming combat and meeting insurgents are not in themselves grounds for arrest, Gardner said. In at least five cases documented by CPJ, the detainees were photojournalists who drew the military’s attention because of what they had filmed or photographed.
U.S. officials said that they recognize the right of journalists to independently report news across Iraq. “We obviously do not want to discourage the press from being present,” Gardner told Reuters. “We are aware that journalists, by the nature of their duties, often will be at the scene of attacks when they occur,” Whitman told CPJ.
CPJ research shows journalists have been held for as long as eight months—without charge or public disclosure of evidence—before being released. In addition to the prolonged detentions, CPJ has received reports of numerous other detentions of shorter duration. Most detained journalists have been Iraqi citizens working for Western news organizations.
Last September, U.S. Sen. John Warner of Virginia secured a public promise from the Pentagon to respond to CPJ’s concerns for journalist safety in Iraq. At a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Warner urged the Pentagon to respond to letters sent separately to Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld by both CPJ and Reuters. Three Reuters journalists were held by U.S. forces for several months last year before being released without charge.
“We’re pleased the military has taken these steps to recognize the challenges that front-line journalists face in reporting on the conflict in Iraq,” CPJ Chairman Paul Steiger said. CPJ continues to urge military officials to promptly disclose supporting evidence whenever journalists are held.
"I am very encouraged," Reuters Global Managing Editor David Schlesinger said this week in response to Gardner’s statements. "The U.S. military can work better with professional journalists doing their jobs under difficult circumstances."
Of the seven long-term detainee cases documented by CPJ, all but one journalist was eventually released without charge. One Iraqi journalist working for CBS News, Abdul Ameer Younis Hussein, remains in jail; this week, U.S. authorities said for the first time that Hussein would face trial before an Iraqi judge. The case is scheduled for April.
Hussein was arrested after being wounded while filming clashes between Iraqi insurgents and U.S. troops in Mosul. The tape that was in his camera at the time of his arrest may be part of the evidence used against him, CBS Baghdad Bureau Chief Larry Doyle said. He added that U.S. authorities have also indicated to him that they believe the Iraqi journalist may have been "instigating a crowd" in Mosul before his arrest.
Beirut, June 1, 2017--Suhaib al-Heeti, a reporter for the independent Asia Satellite Channel in Iraq's western Anbar province, was killed on May 30 in a suicide attack in the northern Anbar city of Heet, according to news reports, his employer, and the Iraq Observatory for Press Freedoms. He was...
Kurdish authorities detain journalist who reported on theft verdict
May 24, 2017 6:55 PM ET
New York, May 24, 2017--Authorities in northern Iraq should immediately release Aram Bakhtiar, a journalist for the independent broadcaster NRT, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Kurdish security forces arrested Bakhtiar on May 22 on accusations of defaming a judge, NRT deputy newsroom manager Soran Rashid told CPJ....
Iraqi authorities shutter TV channel's Ramadi bureau
May 18, 2017 6:02 PM ET
Washington D.C., May 18, 2017--Authorities in Iraq's western Al-Anbar Province should rescind their order closing the Ramadi office of satellite news channel Dijlah TV, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The Council of Al-Anbar Province on May 16 ordered the bureau closed, days after the Jordan-based channel aired...
New York, October 21, 2016 - An Iraqi journalist was killed today covering fighting between militants from the Islamic State group and Kurdish security forces, according to news reports. The killing came as at least seven journalists were injured in the past two days while covering the joint offensive...
Iraqi media technician and journalist killed in separate attacks
August 24, 2016 1:58 PM ET
New York, August 24, 2016 - Media technician Ali Ghani was killed in an attack by mortar fire while reporting in Jaziret al-Khalideya, in Iraq's Anbar province on Saturday, August 20. Correspondent Hussein al-Fares was wounded in the same attack, according to Al-Ahad TV, which employed both men. Al-Ahad...