New York, July 19, 2005—The Committee to Protect Journalists is outraged by the violent removal of 31 employees from the offices of the Oaxaca-based daily Noticias. The employees had been confined to their offices for the last several weeks, due to a blockade erected by a striking, pro-government union.
Around 8 p.m. Monday night, dozens of unidentified people stormed the offices of the newspaper, pulled journalists and press workers out of the building, and destroyed computers and furniture, according to local press reports. Raciel Martínez, a reporter with Noticias, told CPJ that some of the individuals wore masks and carried sticks, bottles, and pipes. A few suffered bruises, the reporter said, but no serious injuries were reported.
The intruders arrived at the newspaper with officials of the Oaxaca Attorney General's Office, according to Noticias. State police who arrived on the scene did not intervene, the Mexico City-based daily Reforma reported.
Héctor Pablo Ramírez Puga Leyba, Communications Director with the Oaxaca government, told CPJ that the conflict is a labor dispute and insisted that governor Ulises Ruiz Ortiz will not intervene.
The newspaper has continued publication out of a printing plant in a neighboring town. Police have confiscated copies of the newspaper and attacked its vendors, Noticias reported.
Members of the Revolutionary Confederation of Workers and Peasants (CROC), a trade union with ties to the ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), originally set up camp outside the newspaper on June 17, blocking its entrances and exits. Noticias staffers were not allowed to leave the building.
Demonstrators said they were on strike for wage increases, according to news sources. Newspaper employees interviewed by CPJ said that the demonstrators had no connection to the publication, that the staff opposed the "strike," and that the blockade was an effort to suppress publication of the newspaper.
Octavio Vélez, a Noticias reporter, said the building's electricity and telephone lines were cut on June 19, and power was not restored until the next day. The reporter said that the crowd outside blocked efforts to deliver food. Workers ate food that was in the company's cafeteria, and some contracted illnesses as a result.
Noticias has been highly critical of Oaxaca state authorities and appears to be targeted for that reason, according to Pedro Matías, local correspondent with the Mexico City-based news magazine Proceso.
Last Saturday, July 16, Mexican President Vicente Fox expressed concern about the situation and promised to visit Oaxaca and meet with both sides.
On June 30, CPJ sent a letter to Oaxaca governor Ulises Ruiz Ortiz expressing concern about the safety of the newspaper's employees and calling on state authorities to end the blockade. (Read the letter.)
"We believe that this latest round of violence is aimed at intimidating Noticias and stifling critical coverage of the government," said CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper. "We urge an immediate end to the harassment of this newspaper so that our colleagues can resume their work."
Mexico City, July 26, 2017--Mexican authorities must undertake a swift and credible investigation into death threats sent to José Maldonado and ensure the journalist's safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Journalists receive death threats in Mexican state of Quintana Roo
July 21, 2017 5:34 PM ET
New York, July 21, 2017--Authorities in the southern Mexican state of Quintana Roo must undertake a swift and credible investigation into threats against two journalists and ensure their safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On July 19, banners containing threatening messages, known as "narcomantas," were left in...
Mexican journalist says he was attacked, threatened by police
June 29, 2017 6:20 PM ET
Mexico City, June 29, 2017--Mexican authorities should swiftly and credibly investigate the alleged assault of journalist Rubén Pat, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Pat, the co-founder of the online news resource Semanario Playa News, told CPJ that police beat him, detained him overnight, and threatened him for...
Spyware targeted Mexican journalists and activists
June 20, 2017 6:17 PM ET
Mexico City, June 20, 2017--Attempts to spy on Mexican journalists and human rights activists by infiltrating their mobile devices with spyware threaten press freedom in the country, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. A report released in Mexico City yesterday by the press freedom group Article 19 and...
Reporter threatened and has part of ear cut off in Mexico's Quintana Roo state
June 1, 2017 5:12 PM ET
Mexico City, June 1, 2017--Authorities in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo must undertake a swift investigation into the attack on journalist Carlos Barrios, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. An unidentified man threatened Barrios, who reports for the news website Aspectos, and cut off part of his...