Moroccan authorities, in addition to seizing and destroying all copies of the magazines on August 1, seized copies of France's Le Monde, which had also published the poll, at the Casablanca airport, according to news reports. Le Monde went ahead and posted the results on its Web site. The survey was conducted as a joint venture between Le Monde and TelQuel.
"This attack is not authorized," said Communications Minister Khalid Naciri in a statement--referring to the poll, not the censorship. The statement explained that the monarchy is not a permissible target for polls and critical journalism. The Interior Ministry said the newspapers acted in violation of Article 38 of Morocco's press code, which forbids offending the king.
The TelQuel Group vowed to fight in the
Authorities previously confiscated and destroyed editions of Nichane and TelQuel in 2007 over an editorial critical of the king's commitment to democracy.
Jax Jacobsen is a freelance journalist based in