Africa Program Research Associate
The Committee to Protect Journalists, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the defense of press freedom worldwide, seeks a research associate for its Africa Program to work full-time. The position is based in our New York City office, but an alternative location could be considered.
- Document and respond to press freedom abuses across Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Communicate regularly with journalists & human rights activists across Africa and with global human rights groups;
- Review relevant news websites and publications;
- Draft letters of appeal, statements, and news alerts;
- Devise and generate engaging content for social media;
- Research and write reports on press freedom issues in the region;
- Review and research requests for assistance from journalists in the region;
- Build/maintain databases for African media, government & civil society contacts.
- Knowledge of Sub-Saharan Africa, including media & human rights;
- Good English-language writing and reporting skills;
- Proficiency in French (reading & writing news articles, conducting interviews);
- Excellent research data organizational skills to support CPJ's advocacy efforts;
- Knowledge & proficiency in the use of social media tools;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
Portuguese language skills would be a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Send a covering letter, CV/resumé, and the names of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line Africa Program Research Associate). Please include a 500-word personal statement on why you consider press freedom to be important.
No phone calls please.
Committee to Protect Journalists is an equal opportunity employer.