New York, July 30, 2009--The Committee to Protect Journalists called on authorities today in the Democratic Republic of Congo to lift a ban on the FM broadcasts of Radio France Internationale (RFI) across the Central African country. The government silenced the station in response to its coverage of the ongoing conflict in the east, RFI said.
Speaking at a press conference in the capital, Kinshasa, on Tuesday, Congolese Communications Minister Lambert Mendé Omalanga accused the station of "developing since several months a systematic campaign of demoralization of the armed forces of the DRC," according to Agence France-Presse.
terminated their 2001 agreement with the French broadcaster on Friday, citing
violations of its terms and
RFI stated that Congolese authorities faulted the station for citing a July 22 AFP news item that reported on the desertion of ex-rebels who had joined the national army as part of a peace deal. The AFP report quoted the military spokesman of the United Nations Organization Mission in DRC, Lt. Col. Jean-Paul Dietrich, as saying that the deserters complained of nonpayment of salaries, ethnic conflicts, and sluggish bureaucracy within the Congolese army.
"The charge of undermining army morale by reporting the news
is ridiculous," said CPJ's
It was the third time the authorities have banned RFI this year in connection with the station's coverage. In June, CPJ called on President Joseph Kabila to reverse bans of RFI in the eastern cities of Bunia and Bukavu. Mende previously accused RFI of "throwing oil on the fire of all of the armed conflicts in the country's east," and RFI journalist Ghislaine Dupont of "attempting to destabilize the country."