11635 results
New York, July 6, 2021 – In response to the shooting today of Dutch journalist Peter R. de Vries, the Committee to Protect Journalists issued the following statement: “Dutch authorities should swiftly and thoroughly investigate the shooting of crime reporter Peter R. de Vries, determine if he was targeted for his work, and ensure that…
Washington, D.C., July 6, 2021 – Pakistan authorities should cease harassing journalist Nadeem Malik and refrain from summoning him over his work, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On July 2, the counterterrorism wing of the Federal Investigation Agency issued a summons to Malik to appear for questioning today, according to news reports, the…
When in March of this year a neighbor alerted Helgi Seljan, an investigative reporter for Iceland’s public broadcaster Ríkisútvarpið (RÚV), that she had seen someone lurking around his house, he was alarmed, he told CPJ in a video interview. Seljan said that the neighbor recognized the alleged lurker as Jón Óttar Ólafsson, a former police…
Last week, unidentified men in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa abducted Ethio Forumjournalist Abebe Bayu at gunpoint, drove him to the city’s outskirts, and warned him to cease criticizing the government. They then seized both of his cell phones and fled the scene. Three days later, Ethio Forum announced on Facebook that it was…
Miami, July 1, 2021 — Haitian authorities should conduct a swift and comprehensive investigation into the killing of journalist Diego Charles, determine if he was targeted for his reporting, and ensure those responsible are brought to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. At about 11:00 p.m. on June 29, unidentified men riding a…
When armed authorities raided the office of news website Kamayut Media in downtown Yangon, Myanmar on March 8, editor Nathan Maung’s initial reaction was to plead not to be shot. The American journalist and his Myanmar colleague Hanthar Nyein were arrested, blindfolded, and taken to a military interrogation center, where for more two weeks they were interrogated,…
New York, July 1, 2021—Angolan authorities should drop criminal defamation charges against journalists Coque Mukuta and Escrivão José, stop pursuing such cases against the press, and ensure that journalism is not criminalized, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On June 17, Angolan judicial authorities charged Coque Mukuta, editor of privately owned news website O Decreto and…
On June 27, 2021, an appeals court in Annaba, in northeast Algeria, issued Mustapha Bedjama, editor-in-chief of the local independent news website Le Provincial, a two-month suspended prison sentence and a fine of 20,000 dinars (US $150), according to news reports and Bendjama, who spoke to CPJ via messaging app. The case stemmed from “harming…
In Bolivia, Brazil, El Salvador, and Peru, emergency measures in response to COVID-19 restricted the media’s capacity to report freely and the public’s ability to access information, including critical information about public health interventions and the pandemic itself, a report by the Committee to Protect Journalists and Thomson Reuters Foundation’s TrustLaw program found. The report,…
Committee to Protect Journalists and the Thomson Reuters Foundation investigate whether official emergency measures increased media restrictions New York, June 30, 2021– Many of the emergency measures enacted in Latin America in response to COVID-19 restricted media freedom and could have negative long-term implications for free expression, according to a new report released as pandemic…