Killed

1891 results arranged by date

CPJ welcomes sentence in Miroslava Breach murder case, urges further investigation

Mexico City, August 24, 2020 – A federal court in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua sentenced Juan Carlos Moreno to 50 years in prison on August 21 for his participation in the murder of journalist Miroslava Breach Velducea on March 23, 2017, according to a statement by Propuesta Cívica, a legal nonprofit organization that…

Read More ›

Colombian journalist José Abelardo Liz killed during military attack on Indigenous group

Bogotá, Colombia, August 18, 2020 — Colombian authorities must swiftly and transparently investigate the killing of Indigenous radio journalist José Abelardo Liz, determine if members of the military were responsible, and bring his killers to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On August 13, Liz was shot and killed during a two-day military…

Read More ›

Mexican journalist Pablo Morrugares killed in Iguala

Mexico City, August 4, 2020 – Mexican authorities must immediately and credibly investigate the murder of reporter Pablo Morrugares and bring the attackers to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Morrugares was shot and killed in the city of Iguala in early hours of August 2, according to news reports and officials. Morrugares…

Read More ›

Egyptian journalist Mohamed Monir dies after contracting COVID-19 in pretrial detention

Washington, D.C., July 13, 2020 — In response to the death of Egyptian journalist Mohamed Monir after contracting COVID-19 in pretrial detention, the Committee to Protect Journalists issued the following statement: “We are extremely disturbed by journalist Mohamed Monir’s death today after he spent more than two weeks unnecessarily held in pretrial detention at Cairo’s…

Read More ›

Unidentified attackers shoot and kill 2 journalists in Honduras

Managua, Nicaragua, July 8, 2020 – Honduran authorities must thoroughly investigate the killing of journalists German Vallecillo Jr. and Jorge Posas, and hold those responsible to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On July 1, two unidentified individuals shot Vallecillo Jr., a host for the local privately owned TV station Canal 45, and…

Read More ›

Photojournalist Christoff Griffith killed at crime scene in Barbados

Miami, June 26, 2020 – Authorities in Barbados must thoroughly investigate the killing of photojournalist Christoff Griffith and ensure those responsible are held to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Griffith is the first journalist CPJ has recorded as killed in relation to his work in Barbados. On June 22, in St. Michael,…

Read More ›

Indian journalist shot and killed after reporting on land dispute; 3 suspects arrested

New Delhi, June 23, 2020 — Police in India’s Uttar Pradesh state must thoroughly and transparently investigate the killing of journalist Shubham Mani Tripathi, and ensure that all responsible are brought to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On June 19, two assailants shot and killed Tripathi, a reporter with the local Hindi…

Read More ›

CPJ joins call for Cameroonian government to account for Samuel Wazizi’s death in custody

The Committee to Protect Journalists joined nine other human rights and press freedom groups yesterday in a statement calling on the Cameroonian government to allow for an independent probe into the death of journalist Samuel Wazizi. The statement calls for U.N. Security Council members to take advantage of a June 12 meeting with the U.N….

Read More ›

Cameroon military spokesperson says journalist Samuel Wazizi died in custody last year

New York, June 5, 2020 — In response to a statement issued by the Cameroonian Ministry of Defense today that journalist Samuel Wazizi died in government custody in August 2019, the Committee to Protect Journalists issued the following statement: “The Cameroonian government’s cruel treatment of journalist Samuel Wazizi is truly shocking. It is unbelievable that authorities…

Read More ›

Yemeni journalist Nabil al-Quaety killed outside his home in Aden

New York, June 3, 2020 — Yemeni authorities should conduct a thorough investigation into the killing of journalist Nabil Hasan al-Quaety and hold the perpetrators to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Yesterday morning, a group of men in military uniforms attempted to hit al-Quaety with their car as he exited his home…

Read More ›