1677 results arranged by date

Ferdinand Marcos Jr., shown here at a campaign rally in Quezon City, Philippines, on April 13, 2022, has not displayed overt antagonism toward the media since winning the presidency in May 2022. However, local journalists say he has not yet taken substantive actions to undo the damage wrought to press freedom under the Duterte administration. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

In Marcos Jr.’s Philippines, milder tone belies harsh media reality

At a waterfront courthouse in Tacloban City, a long-time hotbed of communist insurgency in the Philippines’ Eastern Visayas island region, heavily armed guards were escorting jailed journalist Frenchie Mae Cumpio to trial. The picturesque setting belied the harsh reality of the April 17 hearing. Cumpio could be put behind bars for life if found guilty…

Read More ›

Lesotho journalist Ralikonelo Joki killed after radio show 

Lusaka, May 15, 2023—Lesotho authorities must launch a credible investigation into the killing of journalist Ralikonelo ‘Leqhashasha’ Joki and hold those responsible to account, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Monday.  Around 10 p.m. on Sunday, May 14, an unknown number of people shot Joki in the head once and body at least 13 times as…

Read More ›

Media coverage of CPJ ‘Deadly Pattern’ report on journalists killed by Israeli military

On May 9, 2023, the Committee to Protect Journalists published “Deadly Pattern,” a report on the Israeli military’s killing of 20 journalists in 22 years — and how no one has been held accountable for those deaths. Some of the global coverage of the CPJ report:

Read More ›

Colombian journalist Luis Gabriel Pereira shot and killed in town of Ciénaga de Oro

Bogotá, May 12, 2023—Colombian authorities must thoroughly investigate the killing of journalist Luis Gabriel Pereira, determine if he was targeted for his work, and bring those responsible to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Friday. On Tuesday, May 9, two gunmen aboard a motorcycle fatally shot Pereira while he was riding his motorcycle in…

Read More ›

AFP journalist Arman Soldin killed while covering war in Ukraine

Paris, May 9, 2023—In response to multiple news reports that journalist Arman Soldin was killed on Tuesday, May 9, near the Ukrainian city of Chasiv Yar, the Committee to Protect Journalists issued the following statement: “The Committee to Protect Journalists is profoundly saddened by the death of journalist Arman Soldin while covering the war in…

Read More ›

A deadly reporting field for Palestinian journalists 

Palestinians make up 90% of the journalists and media workers killed by the IDF in CPJ’s database. (The other 10% were foreign correspondents; no Israelis were killed.) Those figures are partly a reflection of broader trends in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict; over the last 15 years, 21 times more Palestinians than Israelis have been killed, according…

Read More ›

How Israel probes journalist killings

Israel’s procedure for examining military killings of civilians such as journalists is a black box. There is no policy document describing the process in detail and the results of any probe are confidential. If an incident taking place during active combat raises the suspicion of a violation of international law, the office of the army…

Read More ›

Faces of journalists killed by the Israeli Defense Forces from 2001 to 2022.

CPJ report finds no accountability for journalists killed by the Israeli military over the past two decades

Failure to pursue justice for slain reporters undermines freedom of the press Tel Aviv, May 9—One year after Al-Jazeera Arabic correspondent Shireen Abu Akleh was fatally shot in the head while reporting on an Israeli military raid in the West Bank, a new report by the Committee to Protect Journalists exposes a pattern of lethal…

Read More ›

Cameroonian journalist Anye Nde Nsoh shot and killed by separatists

New York, May 8, 2023—Cameroonian authorities should thoroughly investigate the recent killing of journalist Anye Nde Nsoh, hold those responsible to account, and ensure that journalists can work in the Northwest Region safely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said Monday. At about 9 p.m. on Sunday, May 7, gunmen shot and killed Nsoh outside a…

Read More ›

CPJ rings opening bell at Nasdaq to mark 30th anniversary of World Press Freedom Day

New York, May 3, 2023—The Committee to Protect Journalists was joined on Wednesday by prominent journalists and press freedom advocates to ring the opening bell at the Nasdaq MarketSite in Times Square, recognizing 30 years of World Press Freedom Day. The bell ringing ceremony was hosted by Brian Buckley, senior vice president and chief marketing…

Read More ›