Alerts

  
Journalists view the damage caused by a forced entry at the Argentine paper Tiempo Argentino on July 4. (AP/Victor R. Caivano)

Newspaper and radio station offices damaged during forced entry linked to ownership dispute

New York, July 6, 2016–Argentine authorities should investigate the forced entry and damage caused at the Buenos Aires offices of the newspaper Tiempo Argentino and radio station, Radio América, on July 4, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The newspaper was being run by a journalists’ collective after a dispute over ownership earlier this…

Read More ›

Ethiopian police arrest Somaliland journalist

Nairobi, July 1, 2016 – Ethiopian authorities should immediately release a television journalist from the semi-autonomous republic of Somaliland, Muktar Nuh Ibrahim, who has been held since June 19, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

Gunmen injure Philippines radio journalist and son

New York, July 1, 2016– Philippine authorities should credibly investigate Thursday’s shooting of a Filipino journalist and his son outside their home in Surigao City, Mindinao, and bring the gunmen to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

Police raid, close independent radio station in Puntland

Nairobi, June 30 2016 — Authorities in the Puntland region of Somalia should immediately reopen an independent radio station closed in a police raid and ensure its journalists’ safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

Liliane Daoud prepares to present her program on the Egyptian satellite channel ONtv in this file photo. (David Degner/Getty)

Egypt expels prominent TV host Liliane Daoud

New York, June 28, 2016 – The Committee to Protect Journalists is alarmed by the expulsion of TV host Liliane Daoud by authorities in Egypt late on Monday.

Read More ›

Zambian editors arrested trying to enter newspaper’s offices amid tax dispute

Nairobi, June 28, 2016–The editor-in-chief of independent Zambian newspaper The Post was arrested trying to enter his newspaper’s offices today, after authorities closed it in a dispute over allegedly unpaid taxes. Fred M’membe, his wife Mutinta, and his deputy managing editor Joseph Mwenda, were released on bail, but face charges of breaking into a building,…

Read More ›

Two Chinese journalists detained for ‘picking quarrels and provoking trouble’

New York, June 28, 2016 – The Committee to Protect Journalists is alarmed by the detention of Lu Yuyu and Li Tingyu, who systematically document protests on social media websites.

Read More ›

TV station staff who produce satirical news shows arrested in Algeria

New York, June 27, 2016–The Committee to Protect Journalists is alarmed by the arrest of two senior staff at a privately owned television station in Algeria on June 24. Mahdi bin Issa, the manager of KBC, and Riyadh Hartouf, a producer, face charges of falsifying permits and complicity in abuse of position, and were ordered…

Read More ›

Guatemalan radio journalist Álvaro Alfredo Aceituno López, shown here in a frame from a video posted to YouTube, was murdered on June 25, 2016. (CERIGUA)

Radio journalist murdered in Guatemala

New York, June 28, 2016 — Guatemalan authorities should conduct a thorough and credible investigation into the murder of the director of a radio station and bring all those responsible to justice, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›

Fresh threats to journalists from Islamic State group

New York, June 27, 2016 – Threats made against journalists in a video purportedly showing militants from the Islamic State group murdering five Syrians accused of working with media and nongovernmental organizations underscore the need to protect Syrian and Iraqi journalists fleeing the conflict, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

Read More ›