May 29, 2006, in Baghdad, Iraq
The CBS journalists, embedded with the U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division, were reporting from outside their Humvee and were believed to have been wearing protective gear when a car packed with explosives detonated, CBS said in a statement. An Iraqi contractor and an American soldier also were killed, and six soldiers were injured, according to news reports.
Douglas, 48, based in London, had worked for CBS News in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Rwanda, and Bosnia since the early 1990s, CBS said. Brolan, 42, also based in London, was a freelancer who worked with CBS News in Baghdad and Afghanistan over the preceding year, according to the network.
Job: Camera Operator
Beats Covered: War
Local or Foreign: Foreign
Type of Death: Crossfire/Combat-Related
Suspected Source of Fire: Political Group
- Attacks on the Press 2006: Iraq, February 5, 2007
- Journalists killed in 2006, December 20, 2006
- CPJ Update, June 16, 2006
- Wounded CBS TV correspondent flown to Germany , May 30, 2006
- CPJ mourns deaths of two CBS journalists in IraqA third is seriously injured , May 29, 2006