Africa cases 2003: Country List    I   Africa Regional Home Page
How CPJ investigates and classifies attacks on the press

FEBRUARY 11, 2003
Posted: January 29, 2004

Nomade FM

Police in the town of Agadez, approximately 620 miles (1,000 kilometers) northeast of the capital, Niamey, shuttered the independent, Agadez-based radio station Nomade FM. The order for the closure came from Interior Minister Albade Abouba, who, local sources reported, was acting on orders from President Mamadou Tandja.

The station was accused of "inciting rebellion" during a February 5 broadcast of a local-language talk show when the host spoke with two former antigovernment rebels. The rebels criticized the government's failure to implement the 1995 Peace Accords, signed between the government and a former rebel movement. In particular, the talk-show guests criticized the government's failure to integrate the former rebels into society, saying that they have lived in poverty since the accords were signed.

Nomade was given permission to go back on air three weeks after the closure. The station, which was founded in 1998, broadcasts local news and relays news from international organizations.

JUNE 14, 2003

Mallam Yaro, Radio Télévision Ténéré
Radio Télévision Ténéré

Several dozen students from the University of Niamey descended on the offices of Radio Télévision Ténéré (RTT), the country's only private station, attacked Station Director Yaro, and manhandled other journalists and station listeners. The students also vandalized one of the station's vehicles.

The attack followed a June 13 television report on the students' poor living conditions. The RTT broadcast included an account of how the students were stealing food from university stores and then selling it. Earlier on June 13, the students threatened to attack the RTT journalists who had gone to the university to prepare the report if the station broadcast footage of their illegal activities. Sources in Niamey said that neither Yaro nor the other RTT journalists were seriously injured.

SEPTEMBER 13, 2003

Soumana Maïga, L'Enquêteur
Ibrahim Souley, L'Enquêteur

Police arrested Maïga, founder of the private weekly L'Enquêteur (The Investigator), and Souley, the paper's publication director, in the capital, Niamey, after the newspaper ran an article alleging that businessmen from eastern Niger had complained that the government was awarding too many contracts to a businessman from the west.

Maïga was released after a few hours of questioning about his role at the newspaper, the journalist told CPJ. However, Souley was held for 48 hours at police headquarters before being transferred to Niamey's Central Prison. The journalist was charged with spreading propaganda and "inciting ethnic hatred."

Souley's trial opened on October 7. On October 13, he was given a one-year suspended prison sentence and was freed that day. The journalist was also banned from entering Niamey for the duration of the sentence. Sources in Niger told CPJ that Souley will continue working for L'Enquêteur.

NOVEMBER 5, 2003
Posted: January 29, 2004

Maman Abou, Le Républicain

Police officers arrested Abou, director of the private weekly newspaper Le Républicain, at the newspaper's offices in the capital, Niamey. He was transferred to Central Prison in Niamey the same day.

On November 7, Abou was sentenced to six months in prison for criminal defamation at a closed, secret trial. Neither Abou nor his lawyers were present at the trial, according to Abou's colleagues. The journalist was also ordered to pay two fines, one of 300,000 CFA francs (US$530), and another of 10 million CFA francs (US$17,560).

The sentence stemmed from a July article in Le Républicain that accused several government ministers of using unauthorized treasury funds to pay for government contracts. The article alleged that several contracts had been awarded to government supporters without allowing competitive bidding, according to Le Républicain staff. The newspaper also published several documents, allegedly from the Public Treasury, along with the article. Following the article's publication, Prime Minister Hama Amadou announced on state television that he would pursue defamation charges against Le Républicain, according to local journalists.

After the sentence was delivered, Abou was transferred from Central Prison in Niamey to a prison in the town of Say, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) south.

On December 23, after the defamation charge against Abou had been appealed, Niamey's Correctional Court amended the journalist's sentence, changing it from six months in prison to a suspended sentence of four months. The fines were also reduced to 100,000 (US$190) and 2 million CFA francs (US$3,780), respectively.

However, Abou was kept in prison under so-called preventive detention on a second charge of complicity in stealing and possessing confidential government documents. The possession charge falls under the country's criminal code and can carry a sentence of several years in prison, according to local journalists.

On January 6, 2004, an appeals court granted Abou a provisional release, and he was freed from jail. His lawyer said he could soon be summoned for hearings on the possession charges.

NOVEMBER 13, 2003
Posted November 13, 2003

Ismael Moutari, Radio Anfani
Amadou Mamadou, Radio Anfani
Harouna Mato, Radio Anfani

Police arrested Radio Anfani's regional director Moutari and reporters Mamadou and Mato, in Zinder, a region in eastern Niger, and detained them for five hours for questioning, according to the journalists' colleagues in the capital, Niamey. The arrests came after the station reported on a clash between local farmers and nomadic herders during which two people were killed, local journalists said. The three journalists were held at the police station in Zinder and were questioned about the report.

Moutari, Mamadou, and Mato were released the same day. It is unclear whether they will be formally charged.