Daoud Suleiman al-Qarneh
Hassan al-Khalili
Muhammad Zahran
Nawwaf Izzedin al-Khatib
Sentenced: June 20, 1992

The State Security Court convicted the four Palestinian journalists on charges of having worked for the Iraqi occupation newspaper Al-Nida and sentenced them to 10 years in prison. The court also fined them 2,000 dinars (US$6,700) each and ordered them expelled from the country when their sentences were completed. Al-Qarneh is a former deputy chief editor for the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA), and al-Khalili is a former editor for KUNA.

Bassam Fouad Abiad
Mufid Mustafa Abd al-Rahim
Ghazi Alam al-Dine
Sentenced: July 28, 1992

The State Security Court convicted Abiad, Abd al-Rahim, and Alam al-Dine of working for the Iraqi occupation newspaper Al-Nida. Abiad, a Lebanese citizen, was sentenced to 15 years in prison. Abd al-Rahim, a Palestinian, and Alam al-Dine, a Jordanian citizen and former editor at the Kuwait News Agency, were each sentenced to 10 years in prison. Alam al-Dine had worked a total of only 12 hours for Al-Nida. The court also fined each of the three men 2,000 dinars (US$6,700) and ordered that they be expelled from Kuwait when their sentences were completed.

appeals to:
His Highness Shaikh Sa’ad al-’Abdallah al-Sabah,
Crown Prince and Prime Minister
Al-Diwan al-Amiri
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Telegrams to: His Highness Shaikh Sa’ad al-’Abdallah al-Sabah, Kuwait City, Kuwait
Fax: 965-243-0121

Lebanon (1)

Pierre Atallah, Al-Nahar
Imprisoned: December 23, 1996

Atallah, an editor of the daily Al-Nahar, was arrested without warrant at his Beirut home during a wave of arrests against suspected Christian opposition figures that began after a van carrying Syrian workers was attacked by gunfire near the northern city of Tripoli on Dec. 18. The Ministry of Defense held him incommunicado for seven days until transferring his case to a military court for investigation into possible security crimes against the state. Lebanese government officials claimed that Atallah’s arrest was not related to his journalistic work, but during the initial investigation, officials focused their questioning on a series of articles Atallah had written for Al-Nahar. On Dec. 31, CPJ wrote to Prime Minister Rafiq al-Hariri, urging Atallah’s release. He was released on Jan. 6, 1997, after posting bail of 7 million Lebanese lira (US$4,000). His case remains under investigation.
appeals to:
His Excellency Rafiq al-Hariri
Prime Minister
Office of the Prime Minister
Grand Serail
Rue des Arts et Metiers
Sanayeh, Beirut
Republic of Lebanon
Fax: 961 1 200 469 / 354 318 / 862 001

Libya (1)

Abdallah Ali al-Sanussi al-Darrat
Imprisoned: 1974 or 1975

Al-Darrat, a journalist and writer from Benghazi, was arrested in 1974 or 1975 and has been held since then without trial.
appeals to:
Revolutionary Leader
Col. Muammar al-Qadhafi
c/o Libyan Mission to the United Nations
309-315 East 48th St.
New York, NY 10017
United States

Malaysia (1)

Nasiruddin Ali, Karya One
Imprisoned: May 6, 1996

Nasiruddin, a director of the publishing firm Karya One, which published four magazines linked to the banned Islamic movement al-Arqam-Tatih, O.K!, Ayu, and Dunia Baru - was arrested and imprisoned, at the Kemunting Detention Center in Perak. The magazines were suspended on June 4. Authorities detained Ali for the 60-day period allowed under section 73(1) of the Internal Security Act (ISA), then on July 7 invoked section 8 of the ISA, which allows up to two years’ imprisonment without trial. The charges against Nasiruddin have not been made public. However, the pro-government daily New Straits Times reported in May that Nasiruddin had been arrested along with three other Al-Arqam members for attempting to revive the activities of the sect, which the government banned in 1994 for allegedly deviating from true Islamic teachings.
appeals to:
His Excellency Dato’ Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad
Prime Minister and Minister of Home Affairs
Jabatan Perdana Menteri
Jalan Dato’ Onn
Kuala Lumpur 50502
Fax: 60-3-2383784

Myanmar (Burma) (8)

U Nay Min, British Broadcasting Corp. (BBC)
Imprisoned: 1988

U Nay Min, a lawyer and BBC correspondent, was arrested in 1988 and sentenced in October 1989 to 14 years’ hard labor.

U Win Tin
Imprisoned: July 4, 1989

U Win Tin, former editor of two daily newspapers and vice-chair of Burma’s Writers Association, was arrested and sentenced to three years’ hard labor-a sentence that was subsequently extended. U Win Tin was active in establishing independent publications during the 1988 student democracy movement, and he also worked closely with imprisoned National League for Democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. U Win Tin is reported to be gravely ill; during a February 1994 visit to Myanmar, then-U.S. Congressman Bill Richardson saw him wearing a neck brace. Authorities extended U Win Tin’s sentence by five more years on March 28, 1996, after they convicted him of smuggling letters describing conditions at Insein prison to Professor Yozo Yokota, the U. N. Special Rapporteur for human rights in Myanmar.

U Maung Maung Lay Ngwe
Imprisoned: September 1990

U Maung Maung Lay Ngwe was arrested and charged with writing and distributing publications that “make people lose respect for the government.” The publications were titled, collectively, Pe-Tin-Tan.

U Myo Myint Nyein, What’s Happening
Imprisoned: September 1990

U Myo Myint Nyein was arrested for contributing to the satirical newsmagazine What’s Happening. He was sentenced to seven years in prison. On March 28, 1996, another seven years were added to his sentence after authorities convicted him of smuggling letters describing conditions at Insein prison to Professor Yozo Yokota, the U. N. Special Rapporteur for human rights in Myanmar.

U Sein Hlaing, What’s Happening
Imprisoned: September 1990

U Sein Hlaing, publisher of the satirical newsmagazine What’s Happening, was arrested and sentenced to seven years in prison under the 1950 Emergency Provisions Act.

Daw San San Nwe
U Sein Hla Oo
Imprisoned: August 5, 1994

Dissident writer Daw San San Nwe and journalist U Sein Hla Oo were arrested on charges of spreading information damaging to the state and contacting anti-government groups. On Oct. 6, Daw San San Nwe was sentenced to 10 years in prison and U Sein Hla Oo was sentenced to seven years. Officials said they had “fabricated and sent anti-government reports to some diplomats in foreign embassies, foreign radio stations, and visiting foreign journalists.” Both men were previously imprisoned for their involvement with the National League for Democracy (NLD), Burma’s main pro-democracy party.

Ye Htut
Imprisoned: September 27, 1995

Ye Htut was arrested on charges of sending fabricated news abroad to Burmese dissidents and opposition media. Among the organizations to which Ye Htut allegedly confessed sending reports was the Thailand-based Burma Information Group (BIG), which publishes the human rights newsletter The Irawaddy. Myanmar’s official media claimed that BIG had presented a false picture of the country to foreign governments and human rights organizations. Ye Htut was sentenced to seven years in prison.
appeals to:
His Excellency General Than Shwe
Prime Minister and Minister of Defense
Chairman of the State Law and Order Restoration Council
Ministry of Defense
Signal Pagoda Road
Yangon, Myanmar
Telex: 21316

Nigeria (8)

Kunle Ajibade, TheNEWS
Imprisoned: May 5, 1995

Police arrested Ajibade, an editor of the daily TheNEWS, and demanded to know the source of the article “No One Guilty: The Commission of Inquiry Presents an Empty File Regarding Suspects in the Coup d’Etat.” They held him because he refused to divulge the whereabouts of his colleague Dapo Olorunyomi, who went underground. In July, a special military tribunal held a secret trial for Ajibade and George Mbah of Tell magazine, charging them as accessories to treasonable felony and sentencing them to prison terms of undisclosed length. On Oct. 1, Nigeria’s Independence Day, the Provisional Ruling Council amended their sentences to 15 years in prison.

Christine Anyanwu, The Sunday Magazine
Imprisoned: May 1995

Anyanwu, publisher and editor in chief of The Sunday Magazine, was arrested for her reports on an alleged coup plot in March. In July, a special military tribunal secretly tried Anyanwu, along with Ben Charles Obi, editor of Weekend Classique. [See below] Both got life sentences. On Oct. 1, Nigeria’s Independence Day, the Provisional Ruling Council commuted their sentences to 15 years in prison.

George Mbah, Tell
Imprisoned: May 5, 1995

Soldiers arrested Mbah, assistant editor of Tell magazine, for contributing to a report about a military officer who died during interrogation about his involvement in an alleged coup plot. In July, a special military tribunal secretly tried Mbah and Kunle Ajibade of TheNEWS, charging them with being accessories to treasonable felony. They were sentenced to life in prison. On Oct. 1, Nigeria’s Independence Day, the Provisional Ruling Council amended their sentences to 15 years in prison.

Ben Charles Obi, Weekend Classique
Imprisoned: May 1, 1995

Obi, the editor of the weekly newsmagazine Weekend Classique, was arrested for his reports on an alleged coup plot in March. In July, a special military tribunal tried Obi and Christine Anyanwu of The Sunday Magazine. [See above] Both received life sentences. On Oct. 1, Nigeria’s Independence Day, the Provisional Ruling Council commuted their sentences to 15 years in prison.

Jude Sinnee
Imprisoned: Early March 1996

Armed agents of the Rivers State Internal Security Task Force arrested Sinnee, a newspaper vendor in Bori, an Ogoni settlement in Rivers State, at his newsstand. The agents also seized 500 copies of various publications and the vendor’s accumulated sales for the day. They then transported Sinnee to the Internal Security Task Force’s office at Kpor, near Bori, where he is being held incommunicado. Sinnee, a disabled person, went on a hunger strike to protest his detention.

George Onah, Vanguard
Imprisoned: May 15, 1996

Onah, defense correspondent for the independent newspaper Vanguard, was arrested without charge and held in incommunicado detention. Authorities pressured Onah to reveal his sources for an article he wrote about promotions and other changes in rank among Nigerian military officers. On Dec. 31, Chief of Defense Staff Maj. Gen. Abdul Salaam Abubakar told reporters that he would look into Onah’s case, but to date, officials have not released any information on Onah’s status or location.

Okina Deesor, Radio Rivers
Imprisoned: July 31, 1996

Deesor, a producer with Radio Rivers in the state of Rivers, was arrested and detained at the Government House Cell prison, reportedly without food or water. On Aug. 3, he was transferred to the Mobile Police Headquarters in Port Harcourt. According to Maj. Obi Umabi, Deesor’s detention was in connection with the July 18 Radio Rivers broadcast of the national anthem of the Ogoni people. In a letter to President Sani Abacha, CPJ denounced Deesor’s continued detention and asked for his immediate and unconditional release.

Godwin Agbroko, The Week
Imprisoned: December 18, 1996

Three men who said they were security agents arrested Agbroko, editor in chief of the privately owned weekly magazine The Week. The arrest is believed to be in connection with an article published in the Dec. 16-23 edition of The Week titled “A Deadly Power Play,” which reported on a dispute between Army Chief of Staff Ishaya Bamaiyi and Guard Brigade Commander Yakubu Mu’azu.
appeals to:
Gen. Sani Abacha
Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council
and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces
State House
Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
Fax: 234-95-232-138

Pakistan (2)

Farhan Effandi, Parcham
Imprisoned: September 14, 1995

Effandi, Hyderabad correspondent for the Karachi-based Urdu-language daily Parcham, was seized in Hyderabad by government paramilitary rangers. Effandi told colleagues that he was blindfolded, kicked, and beaten. On Sept. 16, 1995, he was charged with illegally possessing a Kalashnikov automatic rifle, which rangers claimed to have found during a raid on his office the day before, and with involvement in terrorist activities. Effandi’s bail application has been denied twice by a judge of the Suppression of Terrorist Activities (STA) court in Hyderabad, and his trial proceeded through 1996. His newspaper is widely seen as an organ of the Mohajir Qaumi Movement (MQM), an armed opposition party of Muslim immigrants from India and their descendants. Effandi was released on a 30-day medical parole on Jan. 25, 1997, upon the order of the Chief Minister of Sindh, Mumtaz Ali Bhutto.

Zahid Ali Qaimkhani, Pakistan Press International (PPI), Sindh Sujhag, Barsat
Imprisoned: July 23, 1996

Qaimkhani, a correspondent for the private news agency PPI as well as the Sindhi-language dailies Sindh Sujhag and Barsat, was sentenced to five years in prison after being convicted of an arson attack on the telephone exchange in Kandiaro, in Sindh province. He was jailed immediately. In reaching the verdict, the court disregarded a note written by the magistrate of the Naushehro Feroze district to the public prosecutor saying that he had found no evidence linking Qaimkhani to the arson attack. Qaimkhani had been arrested for the attack on Jan. 22, after the official in charge of the Kandiaro telephone exchange filed a complaint against him. At that time, he was held for five days and then released on bail. Before his arrest, Qaimkhani had written articles alleging that certain local officials were corrupt. Qaimkhani was released from Sukkur jail on Jan. 21, 1997, after the Sindh High Court overturned the judgment of the lower court on appeal.
appeals to:
His Excellency Farooq Ahmad Khan Leghari
Office of the President
Constitution Avenue
Islamabad, Pakistan
Fax: 92-51-811390

Peru (4)

Javier Tuanama Valera, Hechos
Imprisoned: October 16, 1990

Tuanama, editor in chief of the magazine Hechos, was arrested on charges of terrorism. He was sentenced on Nov. 7, 1994, to 10 years in prison for alleged links with the terrorist group Revolutionary Movement Tupac Amaru. He is currently being held at the Picsi Prison near Chiclayo.

Hermes Rivera Guerrero, Radio Oriental
Imprisoned: May 8, 1992

First arrested in May 1992, Rivera, a reporter for Radio Oriental, was sentenced to 20 years in prison in February 1994 for alleged terrorist activity. He is currently being held in the Picsi Prison near Chiclayo.

Pedro Carranza Ugaz, Radio Oriental
Imprisoned: November 29, 1993

Carranza, a journalist with Radio Oriental, was detained in November 1993 and sentenced on Nov. 7, 1994, to 20 years in prison on charges of being a member of the Revolutionary Movement Tupac Amaru terrorist group. He is being held in the Picsi Prison near Chiclayo.

Augusto Ernesto Llosa Giraldo, El Casmeno, Radio Casma
Imprisoned: February 14, 1995

Llosa, editor in chief of the newspaper El Casmeno and a reporter with Radio Casma, was arrested in Casma and charged with involvement in a 1986 terrorist incident in Cuzco. A secret tribunal of the Superior Court of Cuzco convicted and sentenced him on Aug. 10 to six years in prison. Llosa is being held in the maximum security Yanamayo prison.
appeals to:
Su Excelencia Alberto Fujimori
Presidente de la Republica del Peru
Palacio de Gobierno
Lima 1, Peru
Fax: 51-14-326-535

Sudan (2)

Osama Ghandi, Sudanese Television
Hassan Saleh, Sudanese Television
Imprisoned: February 1996

Television cameraman Osama Ghandi and technician Hassan Saleh of the state-owned Sudanese Television were arrested and accused of being involved in an alleged coup attempt. They were among 10 civilians who went on trial in late August in an in camera military-court trial, in which most of the defendants were military officers. Ghandi told the court on Sept. 18 that military intelligence agents had coerced his confession by torturing him.
appeals to:
His Excellency Lt. General Omar Hassan al-Bashir
c/o His Excellency Ambassador Mahdi Ibrahim Muhammad
Embassy of Sudan
2210 Massachusetts Ave., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008