The Torch is a weekly newsletter from the Committee to Protect Journalists that brings you the latest press freedom and journalist safety news from around the world. Subscribe here.
Vietnamese blogger and 2018 International Press Freedom Awardee Nguyen Ngoc Nhu Quynh, known by her pen name "Mother Mushroom," was released from prison on Wednesday. And CPJ joined partner organizations at the United Nations Thursday in urging Turkey to ask U.N. Secretary General António Guterres to establish an investigation into the possible extrajudicial execution of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Watch the full press conference here.
Global press freedom updates
- Russia's Novaya Gazeta is sent funeral wreath and goat's head in latest threats
- Gunmen in Pakistan kill K2 Times reporter
- Vietnam sentences citizen journalist on second anti-state charge
- Read the latest Turkey Crackdown Chronicle, CPJ's weekly round-up of press freedom violations in the country
- DRC newspaper editor detained for criminal defamation. Separately, authorities in the country's northwest closed two opposition radio stations
- CPJ joined an international freedom of expression mission to Malta to mark the first anniversary of the murder of investigative journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia. The group met with government officials, including Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, and asked him to establish a judicial public inquiry into whether Caruana Galizia's murder could have been prevented, and to take steps to ensure that such an attack cannot happen again.
- On Saturday, CPJ will join the fourth annual Foley Freedom Run in New York in memory of U.S. journalist James Foley. Register here to join CPJ staff and friends.
What we are reading
- What the Arab world needs most is free expression -- Jamal Khashoggi, The Washington Post
- The Saudi Cover-Up Crumbles -- The Editorial Board, The New York Times
- A year after her murder, where is the justice for Daphne Caruana Galizia? -- Margaret Atwood, The Guardian
- "Journalism is not a crime": The unlawful crackdown on the media in Kashmir -- Zulkarnain Banday, The Caravan
Do you have an Amazon Alexa-enabled device? Enable CPJ's flash briefing skill to stay up to date with the latest press freedom news from around the world.