Venezuelan Azócar convicted on retaliatory charges
March 30, 2010 3:48 PM ET
New York, March 30, 2010—The Committee to Protect Journalists denounces the conviction of Venezuelan journalist Gustavo Azócar on trumped-up financial crime charges. Azócar, an outspoken critic of the Venezuelan administration, had been jailed since July 2009 and barred from speaking publicly about the case.
Judge José Hernán Oliveros, ruling Friday
in a trial court in the western state of Táchira, found Azócar guilty of fraud
in the handling of a 2000 advertising contract between the state
lottery and Radio Noticias 1060, a private radio station that employed the
journalist at the time, according to Venezuelan press reports. Oliveros handed
down a prison term of two and a half years, but released the
journalist on parole. He ordered Azócar to appear before
judicial officials every eight days, local press reports said.
Azócar, host of “Café con Azócar,” a
news and political commentary show on Táchira-based Televisora del Táchira, said
he will appeal.
Azócar had been in custody since last July, when he was arrested for allegedly
violating a pretrial gag order by posting information about the case on his
blog. Azócar has told CPJ that he republished news reports about the case, but
had not written about it himself.
Azócar’s colleagues told CPJ that the
journalist was being punished for his critical commentary on local government
officials. CPJ has documented a pattern
of judicial harassment against Azócar based in his critical views. Azócar was
included in CPJ’s 2009 survey of
journalists imprisoned for their work.
“We condemn Azócar’s conviction as an
attempt by Venezuelan officials to punish critics and stifle dissent,”said Carlos
Lauría, CPJ's senior Americas program
coordinator. “We urge Venezuelan judicial authorities to overturn the
conviction on appeal and to ensure that the press can report the news without
fear of persecution, which is vital in the run-up to elections this year.”
The verdict also disqualifies Azócar
from running for public office, press reports said. Azócar, who has been active
in Venezuela's opposition movement and has previously run for office, had expressed interest
in running for the National Assembly in September, according to Venezuelan
In its annual report, Attacks on the Press, CPJ found that President
Hugo Chávez Frías and his government have intensified their years-long
crackdown on the private media. Last week’s arrest of Guillermo Zuloaga,
president of Globovisión, a harshly critical private television station, illustrates
the administration’s strategy of silencing critics and controlling the flow of
Zuloaga, who was detained on March 25
and released a few hours later, was accused of spreading false news and
offending Chávez in remarks made during a meeting of the Inter American Press
Association on March 21. He has been barred from leaving Venezuela and,
if convicted, could be sentenced to five years in jail under archaic provisions
of the country’s penal code. Globovisión has been the target of a barrage of government
investigations, CPJ research shows.
Venezuelan photographer goes missing following threats
November 6, 2017 6:04 PM ET
Bogotá, Colombia, November 6, 2017--The Committee to Protect Journalists today called on Venezuelan authorities to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the disappearance of Jesús Medina Ezaine, a Venezuelan freelance photographer who went missing on November 4....
Journalists detained, attacked, and threatened amid unrest in Venezuela
July 31, 2017 6:16 PM ET
New York, July 31, 2017--Venezuelan officials should stop harassing journalists and censoring media outlets amid unrest and violent protests in the country, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Journalists covering yesterday's vote to elect representatives for a constituent assembly to reform the Venezuelan constitution were arbitrarily detained, attacked,...
Venezuelan court fines news website $500,000 for 'moral damage' to politician
June 2, 2017 5:01 PM ET
Bogotá, Colombia, June 2, 2017--A Venezuelan court's ruling ordering a news website to pay the equivalent of nearly half a million U.S. dollars in damages for republishing an article about a politician threatens press freedom, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Bogotá, Colombia, May 2, 2017--Venezuelan authorities should immediately release Marcos Vergara and Deivis Valera, production assistants for the online media platform VivoPlay, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The two were taken into the custody of the Venezuelan National Guard while covering a protest last night, according to...
Journalists covering Venezuela protests harassed, attacked, and news websites blocked
April 12, 2017 10:36 AM ET
New York, April 12, 2017--Venezuelan authorities should ensure that journalists can cover protests safely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Several reporters have been detained, injured, or had equipment seized while covering ongoing protests over a Supreme Court ruling to strip the opposition-led National Assembly of its lawmaking...