In U.S., concern about jailed Al-Jazeera cameraman’s health
February 28, 2007 12:00 PM ET
New York, February 28, 2007—The Committee to Protect Journalists is deeply concerned about reports that an Al-Jazeera cameraman detained for nearly five years without charge at the U.S. naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been on hunger strike over the last 48 days and that he may be in failing health.
Al-Jazeera’s Arabic-language Web site has reported that Sami al-Haj, a 38-year-old cameraman, has been on hunger strike since early January in protest of his continued incarceration. In December 2001, al-Haj was detained by Pakistani forces along the Afghan-Pakistani border while covering the U.S. led-offensive to unseat the Taliban and later transported by the U.S. military to Guantanamo Bay in June 2002.
Zachary Katznelson, senior counsel of Reprieve, a London-based human rights group representing al-Haj, visited the cameraman at Guantanamo Bay on February 1. He would not confirm whether his client was on hunger strike, stating that information from his meeting with al-Haj had not yet been declassified by the U.S. military. However, he did say that al-Haj appeared frail during their encounter. “I can tell you he looked noticeably thinner from the last time I saw him and he had difficulty standing up,” Katznelson told CPJ, adding that al-Haj drank only water during their day-long meeting. Katznelson said al-Haj had indicated in previous communications that he intended go on hunger strike until he was released, or he died.
Last week, the Associated Press reported that 11 Guantanamo inmates were on hunger strike as of February 22, but that it was unknown whether al-Haj was among them.
Pentagon spokesman J.D. Gordon told CPJ that inmates “from time to time do go on hunger strike,” but that he had no information about al-Haj and whether he was taking part in one.
“We are concerned for the wellbeing of Sami al-Haj who has been held by the U.S. for more than five years without charge or trial,” said CPJ Executive Director Joel Simon. “The United States should either charge him with a crime and give him a fair trial, or release him at once."
The only confirmed journalist held at Guantanamo, al-Haj has not been charged with a crime, or faced trial. U.S. military authorities have accused him of working as a financial courier for armed groups and assisting al-Qaeda and extremist figures. Another of al-Haj’s attorneys, Clive Stafford Smith, has called the accusations baseless and said that his client has committed no crime. Stafford Smith contends that al-Haj’s continued detention is political and that U.S. interrogators have focused almost exclusively on obtaining intelligence on Al-Jazeera and its staff. At one point, he said, military officials told al-Haj that he would be released if he agreed to inform U.S. intelligence authorities about the satellite network’s activities. Al-Haj refused, he said.
In October 2006, CPJ highlighted al-Haj’s plight in a special report titled “The Enemy?”
New York, April 11, 2019--The Committee to Protect Journalists today said it was deeply concerned by the U.S. prosecution of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. Authorities in the United Kingdom arrested Assange this morning at the Ecuadoran Embassy as part of an extradition agreement with the U.S., according to a...
Several journalists say US border agents questioned them about migrant coverage
February 11, 2019 11:40 AM ET
New York, February 11, 2019--The Committee to Protect Journalists is concerned by reports that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is harassing journalists or subjecting them to invasive questioning during secondary screening when they cross into the United States....
CPJ concerned about US detention of Iranian TV journalist
January 17, 2019 4:07 PM ET
New York, January 17, 2019--The Committee to Protect Journalists today expressed concern about the detention of Marzieh Hashemi, a TV anchor and documentary filmmaker for the English-language service of Iranian state broadcaster Press TV, and called on the U.S. Department of Justice to disclose the reason for her arrest....
Alleged killer of Capital Gazette employees had made repeated threats
June 29, 2018 2:18 PM ET
New York, June 29, 2018--A gunman shot to death five people in the newsroom of the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Maryland, yesterday afternoon in what police called a "targeted attack," the newspaper reported. Police arrested Jarrod Ramos, 38, and charged him with five counts of first-degree murder, the paper...
Independent music journalist Zachary Stoner killed in Chicago
June 4, 2018 5:08 PM ET
Chicago, June 4, 2018--The Committee to Protect Journalists today condemned the killing of independent music journalist Zachary Stoner, who was shot to death in the early hours of May 30 in Chicago, Illinois. Stoner published videos to his YouTube channel zacktv1, which focused on community life and hip hop...