Former director of Mexico City daily found murdered
November 17, 2006 12:00 PM ET
New York, November 17, 2006—José Manuel Nava Sánchez, former director of the Mexico City-based daily Excélsior and columnist for the national daily El Sol de México, was found murdered yesterday in his apartment. The Committee to Protect Journalists is investigating whether the killing is connected to his work.
According to the Mexican press, Nava’s body was found around 9 a.m. by a cleaner in his Mexico City apartment. He had been stabbed at least seven times on the neck and chest. Local authorities told reporters that a number of valuable items were apparently missing from the journalist’s home.
Nava had been Excélsior’s director from February 2002 until December 2005, when the paper was bought by Grupo Imagen, owner of several Mexican radio stations. Until then, Excélsior had been run by its journalists and employees as a cooperative. Before taking over as director, Nava had been Excélsior’s correspondent in Washington D.C. for 16 years.
In September, Nava began writing the daily column “Nuevo Poder” (New Power) for El Sol de México, said Guillermo Chao, information director for the Mexican Editorial Organization that owns the daily. Nava’s columns focused on political and social analysis, Chao told CPJ.
On November 6, Nava published a book entitled Excélsior, el asalto final (Excélsior, the Final Assault), criticizing Mexican government officials, Excélsior employees and members of the Mexican business community for their role in the demise of Excélsior as a cooperative, the local press reported. Nava accused several individuals of dishonesty, Octavio Colmenares, a spokesman for the book’s publisher Libros para Todos Editorial, was quoted as saying by The Associated Press. Both Colmenares and Chao said that they know of no threats against Nava.
Mexico City authorities conducting an investigation into the murder said that they have not been able to determine a motive and do not have suspects in custody, according to the local press.
“We are shocked by the killing of our colleague José Manuel Nava, the fifth journalist murdered this year in Mexico,” said CPJ Executive Director, Joel Simon. “We urge Mexican authorities to conduct a thorough investigation into Nava’s death.”
CPJ has confirmed that one of the five journalists killed this year was slain in connection with his reporting. It continues to investigate the killings of the four others.
Mexico City, July 26, 2017--Mexican authorities must undertake a swift and credible investigation into death threats sent to José Maldonado and ensure the journalist's safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Journalists receive death threats in Mexican state of Quintana Roo
July 21, 2017 5:34 PM ET
New York, July 21, 2017--Authorities in the southern Mexican state of Quintana Roo must undertake a swift and credible investigation into threats against two journalists and ensure their safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On July 19, banners containing threatening messages, known as "narcomantas," were left in...
Mexican journalist says he was attacked, threatened by police
June 29, 2017 6:20 PM ET
Mexico City, June 29, 2017--Mexican authorities should swiftly and credibly investigate the alleged assault of journalist Rubén Pat, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Pat, the co-founder of the online news resource Semanario Playa News, told CPJ that police beat him, detained him overnight, and threatened him for...
Spyware targeted Mexican journalists and activists
June 20, 2017 6:17 PM ET
Mexico City, June 20, 2017--Attempts to spy on Mexican journalists and human rights activists by infiltrating their mobile devices with spyware threaten press freedom in the country, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. A report released in Mexico City yesterday by the press freedom group Article 19 and...
Reporter threatened and has part of ear cut off in Mexico's Quintana Roo state
June 1, 2017 5:12 PM ET
Mexico City, June 1, 2017--Authorities in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo must undertake a swift investigation into the attack on journalist Carlos Barrios, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. An unidentified man threatened Barrios, who reports for the news website Aspectos, and cut off part of his...