Venezuelan columnist shot to death in front of home
August 29, 2006 12:00 PM ET
New York, August 29, 2006—An unidentified assailant shot and killed Venezuelan columnist Jesús Rafael Flores Rojas last week in front of his home in El Tigre in southwestern Anzoátegui province. The Committee to Protect Journalists is investigating whether Flores’ murder is related to his journalistic work.
Flores, known locally as “El Pavo Flores,” was editorial coordinator of the Anzoátegui edition of the daily La Región, which is based in Cumaná in neighboring Sucre province. Flores also wrote a weekly column in which he often criticized local government officials, Luis Marcano Barrios, editor of La Región, told CPJ.
The slaying occurred when Flores and his daughter Nancy Rojas Mota arrived home at 9 p.m. on August 23, Rojas told local reporters. As they were putting their car in the garage, she said, Flores was approached by an armed man. Rojas said that she implored the attacker to take their car and money, but the assailant told her that he wasn’t there for either and then shot the journalist repeatedly, the Venezuelan press reported.
Flores was struck eight times, in the face, neck, and arm, Marcano said. Press reports said that Flores had been involved in politics in the past. Gregorio Salazar, secretary-general of the National Union of Press Workers, told CPJ that Flores was not connected to politics at the time of the murder.
Marcano said Flores had told him that he had received several death threats, the most recent coming a month ago when an unidentified caller told Flores to stop criticizing the municipal government. Family members said they didn’t know of any threats against Flores, the local press reported.
The local police commissioner, José Rivero Alfonzo, told reporters that authorities believe that Flores ’ murder was the work of a professional hit man. Rivero said a robbery had been discarded as a motive but gave no indications as to what motivated the crime. He added that police are reviewing Flores’ columns in search of a motive or suspects.
“We are alarmed by the murder of our colleague Jesús Rafael Flores Rojas,” CPJ Executive Director Joel Simon said. “We call on Venezuelan authorities to conduct a speedy and thorough investigation into this crime and to bring all those responsible to justice.”
Journalists detained, attacked, and threatened amid unrest in Venezuela
July 31, 2017 6:16 PM ET
New York, July 31, 2017--Venezuelan officials should stop harassing journalists and censoring media outlets amid unrest and violent protests in the country, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Journalists covering yesterday's vote to elect representatives for a constituent assembly to reform the Venezuelan constitution were arbitrarily detained, attacked,...
Venezuelan court fines news website $500,000 for 'moral damage' to politician
June 2, 2017 5:01 PM ET
Bogotá, Colombia, June 2, 2017--A Venezuelan court's ruling ordering a news website to pay the equivalent of nearly half a million U.S. dollars in damages for republishing an article about a politician threatens press freedom, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Bogotá, Colombia, May 2, 2017--Venezuelan authorities should immediately release Marcos Vergara and Deivis Valera, production assistants for the online media platform VivoPlay, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The two were taken into the custody of the Venezuelan National Guard while covering a protest last night, according to...
Journalists covering Venezuela protests harassed, attacked, and news websites blocked
April 12, 2017 10:36 AM ET
New York, April 12, 2017--Venezuelan authorities should ensure that journalists can cover protests safely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Several reporters have been detained, injured, or had equipment seized while covering ongoing protests over a Supreme Court ruling to strip the opposition-led National Assembly of its lawmaking...