New York, July 24, 2006—The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns an attack by gunmen on a university radio station in Oaxaca, southeast Mexico, which has backed efforts to oust the local state governor.
At least 10 men in ski masks sprayed bullets at Radio Universidad on the evening of July 22 as it was on the air, Mexican and international media reported. Nobody was hurt in the attack. The gunmen rode in four vehicles with Mexico City license plates.
Francisco Javier Merino, a reporter for the station at the Universidad Autónoma Benito Juárez de Oaxaca, told CPJ that staff dove for cover as the attackers drove around the buildings firing at the offices and antennas. María del Carmen López Velázquez, who was broadcasting at the time, made an on-air appeal for help before the transmission was cut.
Merino said the gunmen left as neighbors arrived. Staff recovered more than 50 bullet casings.
“We condemn this vicious attack on Radio Universidad,” said CPJ Executive Director Joel Simon. “We urge Mexican authorities to conduct a thorough investigation and bring those responsible to justice.”
A teachers’ strike over pay in Oaxaca has sparked a wave of antigovernment protests. After Oaxaca state governor Ulises Ruiz Ortiz ordered police to disperse protesters with tear gas on June 14, many groups joined the protests. Radio Universidad has been demanding the governor’s resignation since then. López said that unidentified individuals have called the radio several times, threatening to kill reporters if the station continued its calls for the governor’s resignation. Governor Ruiz’s office condemned the attack, The Associated Press said.
Mexico City, July 26, 2017--Mexican authorities must undertake a swift and credible investigation into death threats sent to José Maldonado and ensure the journalist's safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Journalists receive death threats in Mexican state of Quintana Roo
July 21, 2017 5:34 PM ET
New York, July 21, 2017--Authorities in the southern Mexican state of Quintana Roo must undertake a swift and credible investigation into threats against two journalists and ensure their safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. On July 19, banners containing threatening messages, known as "narcomantas," were left in...
Mexican journalist says he was attacked, threatened by police
June 29, 2017 6:20 PM ET
Mexico City, June 29, 2017--Mexican authorities should swiftly and credibly investigate the alleged assault of journalist Rubén Pat, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Pat, the co-founder of the online news resource Semanario Playa News, told CPJ that police beat him, detained him overnight, and threatened him for...
Spyware targeted Mexican journalists and activists
June 20, 2017 6:17 PM ET
Mexico City, June 20, 2017--Attempts to spy on Mexican journalists and human rights activists by infiltrating their mobile devices with spyware threaten press freedom in the country, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. A report released in Mexico City yesterday by the press freedom group Article 19 and...
Reporter threatened and has part of ear cut off in Mexico's Quintana Roo state
June 1, 2017 5:12 PM ET
Mexico City, June 1, 2017--Authorities in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo must undertake a swift investigation into the attack on journalist Carlos Barrios, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. An unidentified man threatened Barrios, who reports for the news website Aspectos, and cut off part of his...