New York, May 5, 2006—The Committee to Protect Journalists is alarmed by the criminal defamation conviction of Venezuelan journalist Henry Crespo, who was handed an 18-month suspended jail term after reporting on government corruption. Crespo, a reporter for the Caracas-based weekly Las Verdades de Miguel, was sentenced by the Caracas Eighteenth Tribunal on Wednesday.
The suit was brought in January 2005 by the governor of the state of Guárico, Eduardo Manuitt. Crespo told CPJ the charges followed two articles that month which denounced government corruption and human rights violations in Guárico. Crespo said he would appeal.
Miguel Salazar, editor and columnist with Las Verdades de Miguel, was also charged with criminal defamation by Manuitt over a column that alleged that the governor had hired gunmen to murder him. José López, director of Las Verdades de Miguel, told CPJ that Manuitt had publicly denied all involvement in the plot to murder Salazar at the journalist’s trial last month. Salazar’s trial began on April 19, and a verdict is expected soon, the editor told CPJ.
“We condemn the conviction of journalist Henry Crespo,” said CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper. “For a Venezuelan public official to criminally prosecute a journalist for criticizing his conduct in office is a serious abuse of power that sends a chilling message to all Venezuelan journalists.”
Laws that criminalize speech that does not incite violence are incompatible with the right to free expression as established under Article 13 of the American Convention on Human Rights, which Venezuela has ratified.
Venezuelan freelance photographer detained, sent to military prison
September 7, 2018 5:55 PM ET
New York, September 7, 2018--Venezuelan authorities should immediately release and drop all charges against freelance photographer Jesus Medina Ezaine, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. A court in the capital Caracas on August 31 ordered Medina to military prison; he was detained August 29 after working on a...
Venezuela opens investigation into independent newspaper
May 24, 2018 5:37 PM ET
New York, May 24, 2018--The Venezuelan government should halt its investigation of a leading independent newspaper's website and allow it to publish freely, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Venezuelan photographer goes missing following threats
November 6, 2017 6:04 PM ET
Bogotá, Colombia, November 6, 2017--The Committee to Protect Journalists today called on Venezuelan authorities to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the disappearance of Jesús Medina Ezaine, a Venezuelan freelance photographer who went missing on November 4....
Journalists detained, attacked, and threatened amid unrest in Venezuela
July 31, 2017 6:16 PM ET
New York, July 31, 2017--Venezuelan officials should stop harassing journalists and censoring media outlets amid unrest and violent protests in the country, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Journalists covering yesterday's vote to elect representatives for a constituent assembly to reform the Venezuelan constitution were arbitrarily detained, attacked,...
Venezuelan court fines news website $500,000 for 'moral damage' to politician
June 2, 2017 5:01 PM ET
Bogotá, Colombia, June 2, 2017--A Venezuelan court's ruling ordering a news website to pay the equivalent of nearly half a million U.S. dollars in damages for republishing an article about a politician threatens press freedom, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....