New York, April 17, 2006—The Committee to Protect Journalists mourns the death of television reporter Jairo Muñoz who was covering mudslides that killed nearly 30 people last week on Colombia’s southwest Pacific coast.
Muñoz and cameraman Rodrigo Trejos were among many journalists reporting on rescue efforts on April 13 in the hard-hit town of Santa Bárbara along the main highway to the coast. At 1 p.m. local time a fresh landslide swept away Muñoz and Trejos, the leading national daily El Tiempo reported. Trejos was rescued moments later but emergency workers did not find Muñoz’s body until Friday afternoon, local media said.
Muñoz, 42, was a reporter for the news program “Noti-5” on the Cali-based station Canal Telepacífico. He reported on states of emergency and crime, said El Tiempo.
“We are saddened by the death of our colleague,” CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper said. “We extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.”
Colombian documentary filmmaker repeatedly threatened with death
August 1, 2017 5:44 PM ET
New York, August 1, 2016--Colombian authorities should swiftly and credibly investigate threats against documentary filmmaker and activist Bladimir Sánchez Espitia and should ensure his safety, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Sánchez told CPJ a man with a gun came looking for him in the early hours of...
Bogotá, Colombia, June 20, 2017--The Committee to Protect Journalists today called for the immediate release of two Dutch journalists who were abducted while reporting from a lawless region of northeastern Colombia....
Ex-paramilitary fighter jailed for 11 years over Jineth Bedoya attack in Colombia
February 26, 2016 5:42 PM ET
New York, February 26, 2016--The Committee to Protect Journalists welcomes the sentencing Thursday of former paramilitary fighter Alejandro Cárdenas Orozco to 11 years in prison for the kidnap and torture of Colombian journalist Jineth Bedoya Lima in 2000....