Son of slain journalist Veronika Cherkasova released on bail
March 14, 2006 12:00 PM ET
New York, March 14, 2006—The Committee to Protect Journalists welcomes the release on bail of the 16-year-old son of murdered journalist Veronika Cherkasova. Anton Filimonov was freed Monday from the Minsk detention center where he had been held since December 27, local media reported.
Although he was formally charged with forging currency, Filimonov was pressured by investigators to “confess” to killing his mother, according to his grandparents.
Cherkasova, 44, was killed in her Minsk apartment on October 20, 2004. She reported for the Minsk-based opposition weekly Solidarnost, where she covered social and cultural issues. However, she occasionally wrote about politically sensitive topics such as drug abuse and surveillance by the Belarusian Security Services (KGB), her colleagues told CPJ. Solidarnost editor Aleksandr Starikevich said he believed she was killed for her work, particularly her investigation of alleged arms sales by Belarus to former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, The Associated Press reported.
“We are relieved by Anton Filimonov’s release on bail but we deplore the apparent attempts by investigators to force him to confess to murdering his own mother,” CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper said. “Veronika Cherkasova’s colleagues clearly believe she was killed for her journalism. We call on the Belarusian authorities to concentrate their efforts on finding the real killers instead of harassing her family members.”
Filimonov’s grandmother Diana Cherkasova, and his grandfather Vladimir Meleshko, told CPJ that the teenager had also been urged to “confess” that he had witnessed Meleshko kill the journalist. Prosecutors had initially considered both Meleshko, who is Veronika Cherkasova’s stepfather, and Filimonov, suspects in the murder but did not pursue them for lack of evidence, the Belarusian Association of Journalists (BAJ) reported.
The grandparents said the authorities had sought a pretext to arrest Filimonov immediately after the murder. On February 2, 2005, investigators went to Filimonov’s Minsk school and tried to take him to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation without the knowledge of his family. Between February and April 2005, Filimonov stayed in Moscow with his father, Dmitry Filimonov, to escape the pressure. Filimonov returned to Minsk after prosecutors said he was no longer a suspect, BAJ reported. But in December he was charged with currency forgery.
The grandparents said Filimonov had a chronic heart condition which had deteriorated in detention. He had also lost weight. They thanked all those who had lobbied for his release.
On February 24, the Minsk Prosecutor’s Office said it was reopening the investigation into Cherkasova’s murder, the news agency Interfax said. Prosecutors said the renewal “has nothing to do with the detention of Anton Filimonov” but they declined to say what had prompted the move.
Journalists face trial for covering protests in Belarus
April 12, 2017 4:09 PM ET
New York, April 12, 2017--Belarusian authorities should immediately drop all charges against journalists for covering protests and should allow the news media to work unobstructed, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Belarus police raid offices of TV station Belsat, detain cameraman
March 31, 2017 3:17 PM ET
New York, March 31, 2017--Belarusian authorities should cease harassing Belsat TV and all news media in an effort to censor coverage of opposition protests and should immediately release all journalists detained for their work, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Police today raided two of the channel's offices...
At least eight journalists still jailed for reporting on Belarus protests
March 28, 2017 6:28 PM ET
New York, March 28, 2017--Belarusian authorities should immediately release all journalists jailed covering protests and should cease obstructing reporters in an effort to keep news of the protests out of media reports, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Dozens of journalists obstructed from covering Belarus protests
March 23, 2017 10:13 AM ET
New York, March 23, 2017 - Belarusian authorities should immediately drop all charges against journalists prosecuted for covering a wave of nationwide protests and should cease interfering with journalists doing their work, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Security forces have detained or otherwise obstructed at least 32...