Ukrainian prosecutor claims confessions in Gongadze case
April 5, 2005 12:00 PM ET
New York, April 5, 2005—Ukraine's prosecutor-general said yesterday that two former police officers arrested in March as suspects in the 2000 murder of Internet journalist Georgy Gongadze have confessed to the killing, according to local and international press reports.
Vyacheslav Astapov, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office, said the officers were cooperating with investigators in providing details about the crime, The Associated Press reported. The reported confessions are the latest in a series of developments in the high-profile case, which had marred the integrity of the Ukrainian government and justice system.
In an interview with the news Web site Ukrainska Pravda (www.pravda.com.ua), which was once edited by Gongadze, President Viktor Yushchenko said the two former police officers had led the investigators to the crime scene and had "demonstrated how it all happened." The officers had been charged with murder shortly after they were detained in early March.
Yushchenko, who was propelled to power in last year's opposition-led Orange Revolution, had pledged at his January inauguration to revive the long-stalled murder probe. He is now in the United States on an official diplomatic visit.
"We are encouraged by the progress in the Gongadze case. But to truly end this grim chapter in Ukraine's history and set the course for press freedom, authorities must identify and prosecute all individuals responsible for this horrible crime," CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper said.
In a separate development, the Strasbourg, France-based European Court of Human Rights agreed on March 31 to hear a lawsuit filed by Myroslava Gongadze, widow of the slain journalist, against the Ukrainian government, according to local and international press reports.
In her claim, Gongadze said that Ukrainian authorities failed to protect her husband, and she accused them of creating a climate of fear by issuing conflicting statements about the investigation, the news agency ITAR-TASS reported. She filed the claim on September 16, 2002.
Gongadze said she is still pursuing the lawsuit because of what she called the "criminal inaction" of the administration of former president Leonid Kuchma. Gongadze said she wants to establish an international precedent holding authorities accountable for their actions in such matters, according to local press reports.
Background Gongadze, editor of Ukrainska Pravda, which often featured criticism of Kuchma and other high officials, disappeared in the capital, Kyiv, in September 2000. His decapitated body was found two months later in a forest outside the city.
The revived investigation has also led to the questioning of top government officials. The prosecutor-general's office questioned Kuchma last month. Authorities did not disclose details of the interview, but Kuchma previously denied allegations of involvement in the slaying. Former Interior Minister Yuri Kravchenko committed suicide on March 4—just hours before he was to be questioned by prosecutors.
A parliamentary committee last year recommended that a criminal case be opened against Kuchma, who allegedly discussed ways of silencing Gongadze in tape-recorded conversations with senior government officials.
The audiotapes were made by former security agent Mykola Melnichenko. The Ukrainian government confirmed that Yushchenko plans to meet with Melnychenko when visiting Washington, D.C., this month. Melnychenko, who was granted political asylum in the United States in 2001, is considering testifying in a murder trial if his security in Ukraine can be ensured.
New York, July 14, 2017--Ukrainian authorities should cease harassing journalists and employees of the Vesti media company, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. National police and military prosecutors today raided the Kiev office of Media Holding Vesti, which includes Radio Vesti, the daily newspaper Vesti, and the news...
Italian police arrest Ukrainian man accused of killing photojournalist
July 6, 2017 6:55 PM ET
New York, July 6, 2017--Italian authorities should fully investigate and prosecute all those responsible for the 2014 death of Italian photojournalist Andrea Rocchelli in Ukraine, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
New York, June 16, 2017--Authorities in eastern Ukraine should do everything possible to locate freelance journalist Stanyslav Aseyev, who has been missing from his home in the city of Donetsk since June 3, according to news reports and his employer....
New York, May 17, 2017--Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko should immediately reverse his order obstructing at least 19 Russian media companies, four popular Russian websites, and banning at least 13 journalists from entering the country for a year, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The decree, published on the...
Crimean journalist faces trial on separatism charges
February 16, 2017 4:09 PM ET
New York, February 16, 2017--Authorities in Crimea should immediately drop all charges against Mykola (Nikolai) Semena and allow the journalist to work unobstructed, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. A preliminary hearing in Semena's trial on charges of separatism is scheduled for tomorrow, according to his employer....