Italian journalist kidnapped; two French reporters still missing
August 24, 2004 12:00 PM ET
New York, August 24, 2004—The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) is very concerned about the reported abduction in Iraq of Italian freelance journalist Enzo Baldoni, the 12th journalist kidnapped by an armed group in Iraq this year.
A group calling itself the "Islamic Army in Iraq" claimed responsibility for the abduction and called on Italy to announce a withdrawal of its 3,000 troops from Iraq within 48 hours, the Qatar-based news channel Al-Jazeera reported today. The group said in a statement that it could not guarantee the journalist's safety if its demand was not met, according to Al-Jazeera.
Al-Jazeera separately aired a videotape of a man purported to be Baldoni speaking to the camera. In the tape, the man identified himself as Baldoni, said that he was 56 years old, and that he was a writer and journalist who had come to Iraq to work on a book about the Iraqi resistance. The man also mentioned that he was a volunteer for the Red Cross. The video showed a passport and other documentation purportedly belonging to Baldoni.
Enrico Deaglio, editor of the Milan-based weekly magazine Diario della Settimana, told CPJ that Baldoni typically works in advertising and copywriting, but had gone to Iraq to do research for a book on militant groups. Deaglio said Baldoni had agreed to contribute freelance articles to Diario della Settimana from Iraq.
The Italian Foreign Ministry had reported Baldoni missing Friday. He was believed to be heading toward the southern city of Najaf, where U.S. forces have battled with Shiite insurgents for several weeks.
"We condemn this reprehensible act and call on those holding Enzo Baldoni to free him immediately and unconditionally," CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper said.
The videotape surfaced just two days after documentary journalist Micah Garen and his Iraqi interpreter Amir Doushi were released after being held by a militant group for more than a week. The other journalists kidnapped earlier this year were also eventually released.
Two French journalists remained missing today. Christian Chesnot, a reporter with Radio France-Internationale, and Georges Malbrunot, a reporter with the French daily Le Figaro, have been out of contact with their news outlets since August 19, The Associated Press reported. Chesnot and Malbrunot were also believed to have been heading to Najaf.
Kurdish authorities detain journalist who reported on theft verdict
May 24, 2017 6:55 PM ET
New York, May 24, 2017--Authorities in northern Iraq should immediately release Aram Bakhtiar, a journalist for the independent broadcaster NRT, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Kurdish security forces arrested Bakhtiar on May 22 on accusations of defaming a judge, NRT deputy newsroom manager Soran Rashid told CPJ....
Iraqi authorities shutter TV channel's Ramadi bureau
May 18, 2017 6:02 PM ET
Washington D.C., May 18, 2017--Authorities in Iraq's western Al-Anbar Province should rescind their order closing the Ramadi office of satellite news channel Dijlah TV, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The Council of Al-Anbar Province on May 16 ordered the bureau closed, days after the Jordan-based channel aired...
New York, October 21, 2016 - An Iraqi journalist was killed today covering fighting between militants from the Islamic State group and Kurdish security forces, according to news reports. The killing came as at least seven journalists were injured in the past two days while covering the joint offensive...
Iraqi media technician and journalist killed in separate attacks
August 24, 2016 1:58 PM ET
New York, August 24, 2016 - Media technician Ali Ghani was killed in an attack by mortar fire while reporting in Jaziret al-Khalideya, in Iraq's Anbar province on Saturday, August 20. Correspondent Hussein al-Fares was wounded in the same attack, according to Al-Ahad TV, which employed both men. Al-Ahad...